Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Now before anyone blows their lid, know that I still do plan to buy it. Hell, I planned to buy one launch day and be at my local best buy at opening. Even asked the day ahead if I had a chance to get one without a pre-order and was told 'if you're here early enough, you should be okay'. Here we are a week later, and it's not only readily available, it never sold out at any store.

To me it's a few things. Coming from an Air 2, this new Pro 11 was a planned day one purchase. Then I decided to wait just a few days for some real world reviews. And the issues starting to arise... you can't use a screen protector on it as it disables Face ID and also touch sensitivity. You cannot apparently use it flat on a couch as seen by many videos. And there are no real cases available, just folios and Chinese knockoffs on amazon. The cherry on top for me is the audacity to increase prices of the device, the folio, and the pencil, yet DOWNGRADE them with a worse camera, non fully functional USB cord, and no extra pencil tips.

So I wonder, did apple overproduce it? Is the price scaring people away? Or do most people just not care about this cycle of the Pro series?

Last edited:

chris_b

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2017
Eh, its just another iPad. Nothing really special about it, it works like the previous ones except for FaceID and the rounded corners with smaller bezels.

I don’t use a screen protector so I cannot comment on that except I’ve never found one to be needed for an iPad. Regarding the using it flat on a couch, I have not had issues. I use it flat on a couch or on my desk when I don’t want to use the keyboard folio and FaceID works for me.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
Almost all models except WiFi 64 GB models sold out in Los Angeles briefly and then most stores were restocked.

Reactions: George Dawes

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It’s my 5th iPad and my favorite thus far. So I’m happy. I was coming from an original iPad Air.

I’ve never used a screen protector, smart covers were enough. Plus I like using a naked iPad.

Not sure why you can’t use it lying it down on the coach?

I’ve had no issues and Face ID works even better than my phone.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
Thank you for the input so far. To me, not selling out and being readily available a week later is odd to me, especially since there was so much hype for this gen.

mattshup

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2017
Eagle Butte, SD
It could just also be a combination of the fact that Apple is finally getting better at ramping up production earlier and having enough on hand during the launch week to keep up with demand. We also didnt hear about any “supply constraints” with the ipad this time around either. I bet you anything sales on point with exactly what they figured.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Thank you for the input so far. To me, not selling out and being readily available a week later is odd to me, especially since there was so much hype for this gen.

I am sorry but do not see a correlation here.

It being in stock has much to do with how much inventory Apple had at introduction and not if it is a "flop" or not. This was a "soft release" for the new iPads.

So you only think things out of stock are good?

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I planned to upgrade my aging Air, UNTIL I saw that Apple only gives us 4GB of RAM (the 2015 standard) in all models except for the over-expensive 1TB storage models.

Screw that, I'll wait until next year when hopefully Apple treats all iPads equally (or at least upgrades the RAM).

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
  • iPads don’t sell in the same numbers as iPhones, so Apple is able to manufacture enough beforehand, and have them available, as well as fulfill incoming orders quickly when not
  • Apple has relatively accurate prediction models to be prepared and not sell out, regional area to regional area
  • iPad Pros are very expensive, especially this model, so it’s mainly tech enthusiasts and digital artists buying this day one. Regular people will be buying this for Christmas, and through out the year (eg birthdays, next semester, when their old iPads get slow)
I don’t see reason to think that because you can walk into a store and buy one, that it’s a “flop.” Cook is the top operations and efficiency guy in the US, and happens to be CEO of the company making these. And since running out is bad for revenue, im sure he was able to manage to make supply meet demand.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I've been looking around at Best Buy. The one I want (11" Space Gray, 256, Wi-fi) is most certainly not available nearby. It looks like Apple has them in stock. But since I'm replacing an iPad and Apple Watch, I'd really love to hit Best Buy for the rewards. In fact, I noticed this morning that even the watch I want isn't available at all nearby Best Buy's, but that's another topic.

Doesn't seem like a flop here in Portland OR.

shinseiromeo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 8, 2017
I am sorry but do not see a correlation here.

It being in stock has much to do with how much inventory Apple had at introduction and not if it is a "flop" or not. This was a "soft release" for the new iPads.

So you only think things out of stock are good?

In my experience working in the industry for over a decade, a high demand and sellouts are indicative of the public wants. Seeing an overabundance isn't a great sign.
[doublepost=1542131886][/doublepost]
I planned to upgrade my aging Air, UNTIL I saw that Apple only gives us 4GB of RAM (the 2015 standard) in all models except for the over-expensive 1TB storage models.

Screw that, I'll wait until next year when hopefully Apple treats all iPads equally (or at least upgrades the RAM).

It's interesting though. Apple devices typically have never needed an inordinate amount of RAM. Seeing geekbench scores, the 1TB models are actually slower than the models with 4GB of RAM.

DiamonDecoden

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2011
Texas
It's a gen 1 product (I mean by this design, it is the first 'gen' of this new design), there will be defects / kinks to work out. A lot of early adopters will get it for sure. Apple will refine it with the next iPad; it's like this type of cycle for most of their products.

I think it's not flying off the shelve because a lot of people own the previous version of the pro and it is still works quite well and there is no real incentive to upgrade unless you really want the magnetized pencil. I mean, I am early adopter to iphones before and the bad side is that, you have to wait until 3rd parties catch up to release good cases for these devices. Yes, there is instant gratification and showing off the new design but their S-series are better because they worked out the kinks in both hardware and software side and more 3rd party support etc.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
In my experience working in the industry for over a decade, a high demand and sellouts are indicative of the public wants. Seeing an overabundance isn't a great sign.
[doublepost=1542131886][/doublepost]

It's interesting though. Apple devices typically have never needed an inordinate amount of RAM. Seeing geekbench scores, the 1TB models are actually slower than the models with 4GB of RAM.

I think the days of any Apple products "flying off the shelves" is over. The markets are so saturated with high end phones and tablets.

sharpshadow84

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Screen protector: I have one on my new iPad pro, no issues.
Touch Sensitivity: have not experienced any issues.
Did wish they kept the price the same, perhaps they are adjusted due to inflation.

Michael

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
There are two issues at play, supply and demand. You can't judge both with one data point. Everything will be fine.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't think iPad's sell like hot cakes like when a new iPhone is released. I don't see a need to camp out or get up early since new models are readily available around my area, if and when I decide to purchase.

I played around with the new 11" at my local Target over the weekend. I definitely like it a lot. I still can't justify the $799 price tag when my 10.5" still works perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.