is the new Star Trek movie offensive to you?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Virgil-TB2, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

As a die-hard Trekkie I find the new Star Trek movie coming this December (at least from what we currently know about it), not only dismally bad, but actually offensive. I think the new teaser trailer is what pushed it over the edge from "this is not likely to be good" into OMG! territory and I am curious to know if others feel the same.

Star Trek, to me, was originally concerned with the future and with hope, justice, modernity and all the coolest themes in science fiction. The cast was one of the very first to include anything other than white folks, and culture was always at issue. "Different strokes for different folks," was what many of the episodes seemed to embody, and it was all about respecting other cultures and not assuming that your own is the only one out there.

Now with the teaser trailer, we know that this is essentially a movie about the USA. How utterly unimaginative. :( How dismal indeed.

It's apparently not about the future at all, nor the possibility that anyone other than the good old USA has figured out the "right" way to act. The federation is just another US state of mind, and after the wars that decimated the earth previous to warp culture, somehow only the USA came back again.

The new trailer replicates what I found to be the most deeply offensive opening credits of any Star Trek series to date, which is "Star Trek Enterprise." We were treated to the credits rolling over audio and video clips of all the great US accomplishments in aero-space, (conveniently leaving out all those of the Germans, the English, the Japanese and pretty much everyone else.) Even though in the Star Trek universe, the USA is but a distant memory that died many of years *before* the first warp drive, that series, and apparently the new movie are being re-told as just another era of United States history. Wow. :rolleyes:

On top of that, (as if this isn't creepy and rude enough), the new movie seems to think that we are all morons. Or perhaps it's just written by morons. I find this quite offensive as funnily enough, I am actually not a moron, and I don't think that most Trekkies are either.

We are supposed to believe that several hundred years in the future, when the human race is exploring the galaxy with other races, and has technology like phasers, warp drive, replicators, teleportation, etc. that a bunch of iron workers using welding equipment are building the new enterprise in a ship yard in San Fransisco? These guys are right off of a World War II poster or something.

The suspension of disbelief is essential in science fiction or course but this is just an insult IMO.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Out of curiosity, what did you think about the Enterprise/Star Trek: Enterprise series from a few years ago?

4. bartelby macrumors Core

It's only a bad film. Are you really that easily offended?

5. Virgil-TB2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I find your comment offensive. :)

I think maybe different definitions of "offensive" are at work. I don't mean it makes me throw up or ready to call the cops, but I find it insulting.

Very insulting lets say.

6. SthrnCmfrtr macrumors 6502

It's just a teaser. I didn't read that much into it, really, even though I'm a pretty anti-nationalist kind of guy.

I'm really hoping they don't **** this movie up.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Let's see, a US-written & produced movie, part of a US movie franchise of some ten or so films, based on a US TV series dating back some 42 years and four different casts & timeframes, and you're just now getting offended?

From what can be seen of the trailer, it's totally consistent with everything in and about the franchise thus far, and can't be seen to commit to a newly skewed POV, at least not from a 30-second or so clip.

As far as the VO, those are some iconic clips from history, particularly to the US audience (you know, the intended one at initial release). The welders? Nothing wrong there, still likely to be in use in a hundred or so years, as it has been for the last. San Francisco? Star Fleet headquarters, as well as the Federation, IIRC.

If this honestly offends you, maybe you shouldn't watch any of the original episodes. Those'll really pi** you off. :p

8. Queso macrumors G4

Hopefully the trailer is just a load of easily thrown together CGI that has nothing to do with the rest of the film. Personally I went off Trek at about the same time the Next Generation crew started moralising about values (i.e. the very first episode :rolleyes:). Give me polystyrene rocks and scary voiced time vortices any day over that rubbish.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I love star trek and I can't wait to see this movie.

10. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

Virgil:
    "Now with the teaser trailer, we know that this is essentially a movie about the USA. How utterly unimaginative. How dismal indeed.

It's apparently not about the future at all, nor the possibility that anyone other than the good old USA has figured out the "right" way to act. The federation is just another US state of mind, and after the wars that decimated the earth previous to warp culture, somehow only the USA came back again."

I have a novel idea for you. This is just a movie. Don't watch it if you don't think you are not going t like it. :D

I am offended that you are offended. :D

11. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

I think the new Star Trek movie is yet another dismal example of the lack of creativity in Hollywood. Recycling old ideas seems to be the lastest fad.

Don't even get me STARTED with Miami Vice. What was the point? That movie desecrated the television series so badly I had the sense that Don Johnson and Philip Michael Thomas (hell, even Edward James Olmos), were probably locked away in their bedrooms somewhere quietly weeping.

Dukes of Hazard was pretty lame too, but I did enjoy seeing some of the Broken Lizard folks in it.

Bottom line is, Hollywood, for the most part, is either creatively stumped or is too infatuated with the easy money that comes with recycling old ideas.

The day Hollywood remakes Goodfellas or another similar-caliber movie is the day I start going on firebombing missions. :p:p

12. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I cannot wait to see this movie and I'm sure it will probably break many box office records opening on Christmas day.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I'm lost as to what is offensive. I'm pretty sure that most scientists would agree that the lunar landing has been the furthest human exploration of space in history. It would make sense to focus on the events that led to it. For all the work that other nations did in getting to that point, development of NASA and its work was primarily an American endeavor. Throw in English is the unofficial language of the US, and you will want English speakers.

14. RacerX macrumors 65832

The new movie worries me too... but I'm not sure where you are getting all this "US propaganda" type of stuff from the teaser. It didn't feel especially Trek-like to me, but I didn't see all this extra stuff you are alluding to either.

15. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

I found it to be incredibly offensive. I kept shouting "How Dare They!" in the theatre. But I did the same thing with Batman Begins. And I'll probably do it with The Hobbit. These prequels just really cook my eggs.

16. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Star-trek has always been US-centric. I'm surprised you're insulted. Personally, I think star trek has been bad ever since they started using good actors. Shatner, Nimoy et al. were so bad all the stuff you now find insulting was funny - it was almost satire. Perhaps you are insulted because now it seems like they mean it?

17. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I don't know enough about the new Trek movie to be offended by it.

To me the most offensive Sci Fi movie of all times was "Starship Troopers". A great book by Robert Heinlein, an absolutely awful movie that completely missed the most important ideas of the book, or went 180 degree's counter to them.

18. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

eh its a movie. i don't think its anything to get too ruffled over.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well I don't know. The original series made a big point about being transnational, in way which was quite unusual for the 1960s. I also don't remember the original series playing anywhere close to satire back in the day. Only now do we view it as camp.

20. UWSpindoctor macrumors regular

I always thought the fact that Starfleet headquarters is in the US, warp drive was developed in the US, and whenever the crew winds up time traveling to Earth they wind up in the US was better evidence of Star Trek being US-centric as opposed to a teaser trailer.

21. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

And they all speak English too, the bigots!

I think Roddenberry's optimistic vision of a united human race meeting the mysteries of the universe with tolerance and goodwill is an exceedingly positive one. The OP, I think, has good reason to suspect that this movie will be designed to elicit patriotism from its primary audience, Americans, because patriotism is quite marketable, especially atm. Monumental mankind, birth of greatness, triumph of will, "manifest destiny," that sort of thing. Some of that is default in the premise, but it was always oriented in a way that included all living things. There was always a sense of pursuing 'transcendence.' Hopefully that's what we'll get.

Even though it's 'only a movie,' Star Trek has a pretty noble legacy to fulfill, or ruin, accordingly.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The trailer looks interesting to me.

Hard to say what the movie will entail from a 30 second clip.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Sadly, that legacy was already pretty much pounded into pulp by the "Enterprise" series. At this point, I don't think it matters very much what they do in the next movie, or even if there is a next movie.

24. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Fair enough. I never made it to Enterprise, or much through Voyager for that matter, so my opinion should be salted.

25. Xfujinon macrumors 6502

Not sure what to think.

As for Trek history, I think the series makes it pretty clear that all cultures and races play an important role, but the Federation's HOME WORLD is Earth, and it happens to be headquartered in a former US city. First Contact established that Zefram Cochrane invented warp drive, but nowhere that I recall did it establish that he was a US citizen...

If the movie overdoes this detail, I won't be disappointed, but as for this whole new movie coming out, I am not holding my breath. I remember the disappointment I felt after leaving the theater from Generations, although First Contact redeemed it somewhat, everything else was a downward spiral. I quit watching Voyager in season 2, never saw a single episode of Enterprise, and didn't think much about it until now.

Personally, I like the original series the best, and probably always will.