iPhone X Is the notch a symptom of Apple's overall design decline?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by WebHead, Jul 11, 2019.

?

Is the notch a symptom of Apple's overall design decline?

1. Yes, Steve Jobs would never have allowed it to ship

36 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. No, even Steve would have put a spin on the lack of symmetry

33 vote(s)
    42.3%
  3. Not sure

9 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. WebHead macrumors regular

As a card-carrying "Never Notch" but with my iPhone overdue for an upgrade I was becoming resigned to having to resort to the notch at some point. Now comes news Apple may ditch the notch as soon as next year.

This comes not long after Jony Ive's departure was announced.

So I'm wondering, is the notch a symptom of an overall malaise in Apple's design department? Or was it a necessary stop-gap while the technology caught up with true edge-to-edge displays?

2. Nacho98 macrumors newbie

No, it's not a symptom of an overall malaise in design - the iPhone 6 was.

I believe Jobs would've allowed the notch. I don't, however, believe the iPhone 6 would've seen the light of day with the antenna lines and the rear camera that was non-radiused with the corner of the device.

3. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

I'm waiting along with you, and I'll wait as long as it takes, whether that is 2020 or 2025. I tend to believe it will be next year or '21 at the latest, though. All good. I love my 8Plus and it has plenty of life in it.

4. EM2013 macrumors 68000

EM2013

Is it 2017 again?

This subject has been beaten to death already.

5. Ralfi macrumors 68030

Ralfi

So it’s either people vote to agree with you, or they choose a condescending option of “No, even Steve would have put a spin on the lack of symmetry”. :rolleyes:

I’ll choose another option, that doesn’t contain any of the OP’s bias....You can find it in the many threads already covering this....

6. WebHead thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, condescension wasn't my intention. But it's fair to assume the notch would have grated with Steve, even if it was a necessary evil.

And yes, I don't doubt the subject has been done to death, but the latest news makes it topical again.

7. craigio85 macrumors 6502a

craigio85

It isn’t fair to assume anything. He’s dead and nobody knows what his opinion may have been. If you want an accurate poll, leave people who can’t speak for themselves out of it and go with a simple yes/no answer.

But all you’ll be doing is recreating countless threads where a clear majority of people state they don’t care about the notch because FaceID benefits outweigh any ill feeling about it.

8. cableguy84 macrumors 65816

cableguy84

Apple should have went with thin bezels top and bottom there was no need for the notch.
    Lazy design.

9. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

The notch was a good design choice and works well.

This thread should be locked or deleted as it's been discussed to death & back.

10. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

The only reason I see it as a decline is in Apple not going all in and putting Face ID on their iPads and Macs, and even then I'd say that's only a shallow decline at worst

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Nothing vexes me more when someone tries to speak/interpret something for Steve Jobs. You Can’t assume anything, and if there was one thing we can say about Steve Jobs, he was completely unpredictable, and we don’t know what his path point Would’ve been for the future of the iPhone as it stands today.

I’ve said it many times before, the notch is and always will be a non-issue outside tech forums, it’s not something someone sits around and discusses about their iPhone, it’s a small intricacy that bothers a select few on sites like this.

12. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

The notch is a consequence of the tech required for Face ID. Face ID is significantly superior to the face unlock of all other manufacturers but that comes are a price of requiring more than just a front facing camera like all the others. Can they make the notch smaller… I'm sure they can and I'm sure they will. Can they do away with it… not yet unless they can make it work work underneath the display… they won't ever resort to a "pop up" like others have so that's a no go. So for the time being I think Apple are tied to the notch as much as they're tied to Face ID.

If you need to replace now and you "need" iOS, buy now. Waiting isn't going to help you much other than getting you the 2019 model that's coming in a couple month. This is/was part, albeit one of a pile of things, of my switching. I got tired of everything I wanted always being "on the horizon" yet others are able to deliver today.

13. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

Another notch thread. . . . .

I love FaceID as it works well for me. If Apple takes it away and goes back to TouchID, I would get used to that too. Either way as long as my phone does what I ask, I am happy.

14. now i see it macrumors 68040

it's pretty obvious, actually glaringly obvious that the notch was Ive's design/mistake/compromise. It's very likely that if Ive had quit several years ago we wouldn't be in the notch pickle we're in today.

15. RickGrimes, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019

RickGrimes macrumors regular

RickGrimes

No it does not. Also please stop referring to Steve Jobs it makes you lose credibility.

16. MisterSavage macrumors 6502a

MisterSavage

I don't even notice that notch when I'm using it. The notch is housing several different components that IMO make the experience so much better. You couldn't pay me to go back to a home button with Touch ID like the models before Face ID.

17. WebHead thread starter macrumors regular

Actually it’s a consequence of the need to market an edge-to-edge screen that really isn’t.

Agreed.

One thing I *will* say for the notch, it makes it easier to tell which end is up.

18. baypharm macrumors 68000

baypharm

19. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

The hate for the notch is silly. Whole lot of non-suggestions as to what they should do instead.

And stop with the Steve Jobs crap. The guy has been dead for 8 years may he rest in peace.

20. now i see it macrumors 68040

Here's what they should've done

This is the most obvious choice, but nooooo, ive had to come up with something crazy
    image.jpeg

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Because two bezels are better than none?

BS, that looks fine, but it's not good enough. Try again.

22. Nacho98 macrumors newbie

Notch look better than this. This looks like any other low end Android, like the kind of phone that you get for free.

Thankfully the notch has never bothered me.

23. Tmacc47 macrumors member

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I believe that notched phones are proof that they weren’t ready for “no bezels” yet. The galaxy s8 and many other Androids have small bezels and look great. I’m in the minority when I say this, but I don’t care about Face ID.

24. StaceyMJ86 macrumors 68000

StaceyMJ86

This look like today’s Android devices and me personally, I wouldn’t come within 5ft of this device. This don’t have Apple’s name on it.