Is the old iPad unlimited data plan pre-paid or post-paid?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SporkLover, Mar 25, 2012.

1. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Does anyone know? Just curious because I don't need a data plan on my iPad month to month, just when I travel.

I guess the real question I'm trying to get to is if I opt out of my unlimited data one month, can I activate it a month or two down the road? Or do I have to keep it activated month to month to keep it viable?

I ask because I have the opportunity to get and unlimited account transferred to me, but want to know if it's worth it.

2. Holoshed macrumors regular

Unlimited is pre-paid and if you close it or do not pay for one month you lose it. Last I heard there was sometimes one grace period to get back unlimited if you cc got declined or the like but not for intentional shut off.

It sells for 350 to 700 USD on sites like eBay so it has worth but you have to always maintain it or lose it.

3. elmo151 Guest

contact AT&T. you can get intl plans on an as needed basis

4. SporkLover thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that is exactly the answer I needed. Not worth it for me.

5. DeuxIt macrumors member

just sold mine on ebay for $650. that pays for an awful lot of a new ipad or many many months of the occasional overage on a 1gb verizon prepaid.

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

I always hated how the late Steve and AT&T heavily promoted the orig iPad with its fantastic data plan, you could start and stop anytime. Then a month after launch they stopped offering the unl plan. And changed the rules, if you had it , now you couldn't stop and start it or u lose it
    I kept the unl plan for a year and then sold the chip to someone for $400 when the ipad2 came out.
    It's amazing the chips are going for even more, I almost opted out of mycraigslist sale but buyer really wanted it for Netflix.
    AT&T can throttle it or change it anytime, not worth the $600? Risk now IMO.

7. kevink2 macrumors 65816

I hadn't seen that the price had gone up that high. I guess people are really worried about the extra data usage with 4G and LTE.

I stayed with ATT for my new iPad since I had the unlimited plan.

8. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

Almost every carrier that had unlimited, such as Virgin Mobile, has now gone to throttling after 2 or 3gb. The AT&T terms say they can change the rules basically any time they like. I would be willing to take bets that AT&T unlimited and unthrottled will end sometime in the near future. Too much of a risk for me to pay that much for a sim.