Is the only point of the retina display to make text sharper

Discussion in 'iPad' started by thetruth1985, Mar 16, 2012.

1. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I was under the impression that since the new ipad has such a high screen resolution, we would be able to fit more information on screen. Similar to how a 13 inch macbook air can fit more items/text on screen versus a 13 inch MBP because the MBA has a higher resolution. I thought this would be the case since apple brags that their resolution was much higher than 1080p. I was disappointed today when I used the ipad 2 next to the ipad 3 with safari and although the text was noticeable sharper on the new one, they both displayed the exact same content at different resolutions. So my question on this is whether or not the only perk of having the retina display on a ipad is to display sharper text. Also, does the retina display make it easier to read in sunlight on the new ipad? Thanks in advance!

2. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It actually is possible to fit much more information on the display - it all depends on the developer. I suppose that, with Safari, Apple decided to immediately zoom in because otherwise you would get these really small pages.

3. junglesnake macrumors 6502

junglesnake

I'm going be honest, I have to agree with you on the text part.I've seen the difference in the text everything else is almost identical to my eyes. But reading is much easier.

4. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

Yeah, it call comes down to the App developers. As for Safari, most websites these days are designed for 1024x768, so if they showed more you would just end up with a lot of empty space.

5. thetruth1985 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I guess only time will tell. I have been spoiled by my 17 inch MBP because it allows me to view 2 websites side by side due to the high resolution. Since it was announced a few days ago that apple optimized their default apps to take advantage of the retina display, I figured that it would be more than just sharper text and images.