Is the Palin pick the worst in history?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thechidz, Nov 1, 2008.

1. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

So it seems like even her folksy charm and barbie looks won't be enough to heal the wounds that her oblivious, nonsensical interviews have inflicted on the McCain campaign. There are plenty of people that will still vote for her because they are probably just as white washed, but as election day comes nearer it is more clear that we will have our first african-american president. (barring what would pretty much amount to blatant theft of the election by the GOP, which I wouldn't put past them). So is the pick of Palin the absolute worst in history?

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Guess we'll know in a few days.

If Obama wins, then that will probably be used as the reason why McCain lost.

If McCain wins, then obviously she was not the worst choice.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

It may be used as the reason but it's not in my opinion. Picking her was just one in a series of very bad decisions on the part of the McCain campaign. They had a strategy which wasn't working. They then went into "throw all kids of ***** on the wall and see what sticks" mode. History will judge this campaign as the how to book on what not to do.

4. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

5. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

This I don't understand

If Obama wins, it is a statement
    If McCain wins, it is stolen

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I've only been around for 40 years, and only interested in US politics in the last 15 or so... but she's definitely the worst pick that I'm aware of. Worse than Dan Quayle? Yes. Quayle may have been slightly dumber, but his running mate wasn't a 72-year old knocking on death's door, so his stupidity didn't really matter. And Quayle had low self-esteem, because somewhere he knew pretty well how inadequate he was. Palin on the other hand, thinks she's fantastic and on top of things.

7. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

yes, just like 2000 when the winner of the election (Gore) lost because the republicans stole the election by disenfranchising Florida voters. remember that?

It is obvious that the majority of the country, and the world want Obama to lead this very important period that we are entering into that will affect the entire world.

8. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Rrrrrrright :rolleyes:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

9. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

good response:rolleyes:

so the 2000 election was completely fair in you opinion?

Palin is a mental midget. Sorry if that offends anyone but she makes me so mad. How someone like that can reach the position she has is pure injustice. It is time to stop this nonsense. power to the people...

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Funny you mention Quayle. Both he and Palin were chosen to appease the Republican base. Hopefully, the outcome of picking Palin will be different.

If she loses, she's done on the national stage. Over 50% feel she's not qualified to be VP, let alone President. Not to mention all the Reps and Conservatives on record with some pretty scathing remarks about her unqualified-ness.

11. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Actually, I think Cheney could have picked a better presidential candidate back in 2000 - I mean, everyone was making jokes about Bush's inability to pronounce words with more than two syllables correctly.

12. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Andrew Johnson was pretty bad. ;)

And I believe experience is far more important, of which Palin, as the VP pick, has more than Obama, the President pick.

Palin's definitely made some mistakes upon her entry to the national stage. But her entry shows where women can get, and also calls into serious question the Democratic party's current status as "the party of women". Especially reflecting how reporters, who are voting Democrat 80% to 20%, have treated her.

13. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

I didn't express an opinion, but the Supreme Court did

Apparently the voters who elected her to her position disagree with you

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

14. thechidz thread starter macrumors 68000

thechidz

experience as mayor of small town, big oil is not representative of what goes on in the lower 48. I'm sorry but that argument is moot. No way.

Her presence in politics has single handedly destroyed the progress that Clinton and other women with actual brain matter have made...

Oh did the big bad media ask a few tough questions of the VP candidate of the most influential country in the world??? Poor poor dough head, ummm Palin oops:rolleyes:

15. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I think she'll run in 2012. Her biggest weakness, imo, is she over-estimates herself way too much. Her people will lay the blame on McCain if they lose.

16. iGary Guest

iGary

It will pretty much go down as one of the major reasons McCain lost the election.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Few people know that Terry the Tron guy was actually his first pick.
    [​IMG]

Unfortunatly for mccain, he was already voting Obama

:p

18. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

While it certainly will play a role both pro and con, depending on your perspective, I think McCain had plenty of his own reasons to lose

In my opinion, the selection of McCain as their candidate was a far worse choice for the GOP than Palin was as VP

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

John Cleese of Monty Python fame was on MSNBC's Countdown last night, and this is what he said:

"I think the problem came when everybody wanted George W for president because he's someone they could have a beer with. You know, someone you feel comfortable with. I don't want a president I feel comfortable with, I want a president who's so damn smart, well informed, sharp, and a good assessor of people, that if I was there I'd just keep my mouth shut so that he didn't realize what a fool I was. But that seems to be the opposite of what a certain kind of republican voters want, which is someone who they're gonna feel comfortable with. I know the Americans are terrific about not being envious of money, compared with the Europeans, but they seem to be very envious about intelligence. And the idea of being with someone who's intelligent, well informed and educated, Ivy League... bleeeuuuhhh! Not a proper American. And the result is that they want someone who is not going to be terribly bright, or highly intelligent, or awfully sharp, or a very good judge of people. Considering that this is a man for the job of the most powerful person in the world, that's rather alarming. As I pointed out to one audience, if you wanted to have a drink with Bush, you should have voted for Gore."

And that's what Palin is all about. Republicans want a backwards thinking, folksy, uneducated, anti-intellectual dumbass like themselves.

20. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Wow... just wow

And the award for most stereotypical post goes to...

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

21. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

And why is it exactly that Palin has been rejected by democrats?

This exchange from the Rachel Maddow Show last night pretty much says it all:

;)

22. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd argue that Palin is up there with the worst in history, yes, but she has had some good company in recent decades, some of them, unfortunately, returned by their electorates to high office, a position for which many of them had not the wit, wisdom, intelligence, judgement, humanity or experience to hold......to wit, namely, Quayle (already mentioned), Reagan, and, of course, Bush himself. After eight frightful years in office, I still cannot take that man seriously. Unfortunately, his appalling legacy means that I must do so.
    Cheers

23. MacDawg macrumors Core

MacDawg

Nobody wants to mention these gems?

McGovern-Eagleton/Shriver
    Mondale-Ferraro
    Dukakis-Bentsen

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

24. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Don't be so hard on yourself ;)

25. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Eagleton is the one who had to drop out of the race, right? After it was made public that he had mental health issues?

Yeah, that's some inadequate vetting right there. But judging by his Wikipedia profile, it would have been a non-issue... he returned to the senate and remained a senator for several years, and went on to be a professor at Washington University, an attorney and a political commentator.

He may have had some, er, 'issues', but there's nothing to indicate that he was dimwitted like Palin or Quayle. Those two are bad picks because they're idiots.