Is the power cord covered in the warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ronmaverick88, Mar 11, 2009.

1. ronmaverick88 macrumors member

This is not a problem I am having it's my mother. Her Macbook's power cord seems to have a shortage in it. The light flicks on and off.. it's to the point you have to jiggle the cord to find that sweet spot in order for it to work. Would this be considered a "design flaw" of sorts? I've read where people complain about the cord melting where the magnets meet on the actual brick portion. That is not where the problem is, but I did notice some distortion there also (looked like melting).

The problem is where the skinny portion connects to the brick. It seems to be loose and causing the entire problem. Could I get it replaced for free? There is no water damage, no scratches or bite marks, no wires exposed, nothing like that at all. Is it covered? I know with my Acer all the cords were covered along with the computer and battery, even the Zune includes the headphones that come with the device as part of the warranty. I know Apple loves money so I just wanted to see if this situation would be covered or not before I drive half way through the city to the store.:confused:

Would it be a problem if i let her use my MBP power cord to charge her MB?

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

As long as there is no visible damage, it should be covered under warranty.

And yes, you can use the MBP charger to charge the MB. The MB will only draw as much power as it needs, even though the MBP charger can supply more.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

It sounds like it could be the magsafe adapter or the power cord, in which both will get replaced at the same time, and yes you are covered under the warranty. My rabbit put her two big front teeth to my power cord and Apple Store replaced it even after I told them it was my fault. My entire house is now "rabbit-proofed"...:p

4. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

Hey sorry guys I just looked again and noticed it *IS* Melted!! :eek:

Will they replace it or try to say I cut it/pet bit it/user fault?? The Apple store near me always gives me a hard time with stuff and it is easy to say i did this.. This is a fire hazard!! Will they still replace it with the wires out and all it looks JUST like this!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

They might tell you go buy a MagSafe instead.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

That's what mine looked like when my Rabbit (BunBun) took a bite out of it; if it's melted they'll replace the magsafe adapter and the power cord...:eek:

7. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

I too have a rabbit and it bite the same way has the image above. :p

8. ronmaverick88 thread starter macrumors member

thanks and one more thing, there is not any burn marks. Is this because I caught it in time? Does it normally have actual black burn marks on it or do some just melt open like that? So far it's just split open like a gash but in the same exact area as the pics. I just don't want those teenagers at the Genius bar make me waste another trip half across town because the thing is not still half on fire. They guys here are not as nice as you all were lucky to have, you practically need your own lawyer to get things done here.

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's killing me, but I just HAVE to ask: How long did it take to fully recharge your rabbit? :D