Is the product red sport band feminine?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Accessories' started by Bram.96, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Bram.96 macrumors member

Bram.96

2. playaproved macrumors 6502

I'm a male and I love it. It's a pretty dark red and doesn't look pink at all. I've been wearing it since weds and have gotten quite a few compliments on how nice it looks with the Space Grey sport.

Yesterday I upgraded to the Space Black SS and the red band looks even better.

Easily my favorite band and I wish it was available sooner.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've said this multiple times. Color is gender neutral. Its only people who seem to be hung up on a particular color being too "girly" IF you like the color, get it and don't worry about what others think,

4. doboy macrumors 68000

5. fania123 macrumors regular

fania123

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I don't think it does and I ordered one this morning.

7. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

8. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I'm a male and I wear the pink sport band all the time with my 42mm SGS, so I'd call the red band a unisex band at the least, and probably more masculine than feminine.

9. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

I swear I see these threads like once a week. Red (or white iPhones, or Rose Gold) are only as feminine as you make them.

I'm a dude and I plan on rocking a Rose Gold iPhone FWIW.

10. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

I'm a guy, and I'm wearing the new turquoise sports band on my 42mm Space Gray Sport. My Product Red band arrives tomorrow. None of the bands are feminine. None of the bands are masculine. No color or item of clothing will turn you gay or straight (if you are concerned about this happening, you need to spend some time thinking deeply about who you really are and who you want to be). If your friends tease you about your color choices or fashion choices, and it bothers you, tell them to knock it off. If they don't, get better friends. Pick colors that you enjoy. If you feel so motivated, choose a friend (male or female) whom you think dresses really well / whose style you admire, and ask them which colors they think look good (or not so good) on you (this, actually, is something I did very early on with the woman who later became my wife - it worked out really well).

11. broadbean macrumors 6502a

Why would you think that? Lavender maybe.

Red has been associated with blood, strength, and predominantly (male) warriors. It's also a symbol of wealth and prosperity in China.

Blue OTOH has also been associated with serenity, calm, for females in case you're wondering.

12. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

Just to clarify, I personally don't think it is and I'm planning to buy one, however some of the people I know say that it might look feminine so I was just wondering what the general opinion is down here.

13. broadbean macrumors 6502a

14. Bram.96, Sep 23, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

No, I'm not. In fact I already ordered one, but was just curious about the opinion around here because of the comments I heard from some friends of mine. I don't need anyone opinion to buy something I like, but i was just interested what you guys think over here.

15. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

16. CarlJ macrumors 68020

CarlJ

So I think the most prevalent answer in this thread is, in essence, your friends are idiots ;)

This. Very much this.

17. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

Yeah it's a little bit. Not as far as the rose or lavender bands, but it's more feminine than a neutral primary red, just because it's lighter and nuanced. The new collection of sport bands is overall very feminine.

18. nasa25 macrumors 65816

35 year old man here with pink and red sport bands and a rose gold iPhone as of Friday

19. riotrhythm macrumors regular

riotrhythm

God, masculinity is so fragile. Wear what you like.

20. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

I understand the OP's question. He's simply assessing what opinions are on this highly controversial subject.

Apparently a huge slice of the population associates color choice with gender and sexual orientation. Good bad or indifferent, I think we can agree that is the reality, based on the number of thread on this issue, and the amount of commentary on the subject.

Personally I don't care what the associations are. If someone wants to think I'm gay based on color choices, that's on them. Nor would I be bothered if they were to think that, it's just no big deal to me.

21. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Just picked up the red from my local Apple Store. Red + Space Grey Watch = Awesome looking! Matches my iPad Air 2 (Space Grey with Red smart cover).

22. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

I definitely don't think Red is a feminine color. Pink IMO not so sure, maybe depends on the shade, and I do like pink shirts or ties on guys, but who doesn't have a red sweatshirt or sweater that the red band would look great with. Great with blue jeans too, or black/grays. These days sport shoes and such pick up all kinds of colors in them. I know Apple's advertising is trying to emphasize a color-neutral approach for whatever that's worth to you. I'd say enjoy the red band. A lot of sports teams have red as a primarily color in their logos too.

23. mrstriker00 macrumors newbie

Lmao is this question serious?? So me wearing my red nike shirt and black pants while having a red apple watch..people may think its girly? Some of you guys think too much lol.

24. WarHeadz, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015

WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I'm a gay guy and I love the red sport band. If you like it also that means you're gay, feminine, and generally less of a man. :p

25. Bram.96 thread starter macrumors member

Bram.96

There it is, unexpected fast delivery from Apple!

Attached Files: