Is the public perception of the FBI trending down ...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Rhonindk, May 3, 2018.

Tags:
?

Is the FBI’s self destructing?

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

27 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. No change

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  4. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Was reading some articles today and this caught my eye LINK
    As I read the article I started thinking about the impact to the normal working men and women of the FBI, domestic and foreign.

Is the FBI self destructing?

2. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Yes. They’ve gone hog ass wild on getting wire taps on people just for kicks. The whole justice department is starting to look like a **** show. Thanks **** Holder. The DNC should be scared as hell right now with their bluff they are trying to pull here. Trumps a turd, but the DNC is a pile of ****. I’ll take the turd this time around. The pile of **** is about to get picked up with a giant shovel and dumped in a trash can. Going to be epic.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

I think it helps to remember when it became 'the norm' to think of the FBI as 'self destructing'. It certainly seemed to be a big deal when Comey brought up the Clinton emails 2 weeks before the election, but the perception seemed to increase when their focus shifted elsewhere.

4. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

She was losing and needed an excuse. She still can’t figure out why she lost.

5. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

As Charles Dicken's character Mr. Bumble once observed, there may be occasions on which "the law is an ass." These days I'm starting to think it's more like social media outlets are good at trying to make us all into an ass.

Of course the FBI is not self destructing.

There are people in the administration who'd love us to think the FBI is ailing, failing, flailing... since they're not fond of the FBI doing some of the investigations it has been tasked to do. The FBI is what it has always been, a collection of human beings, no more and no less like any other law enforcement arm, including people who are capable of good and bad behavior, capable of camaraderie or suspicion of each other, capable of pride of agency or low morale, etc.

So... "moving right along...." maybe it's the USA's common sense self-destructing. Too much net time.

6. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

I don't see how it can't, both sides have been hypocritical in letting them do their job. 9/11 and privacy laws didn't help, but the investigations into the two presidential candidates has roiled both sides. I'm not saying there aren't issues in the FBI, but they are hugely partisan and probably not as severe as any side is lead to believe.

I think Comey was in a rock and a hard place given he was investigating both candidates. Truly a case of damn if you do, damn if you don't.

That said, I don't think they are self-destructing. It's more to do with hugely partisan politics and the FBI being dragged into it.

7. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Cool story.

Not the point.

The FBI wasn't considered 'self destructing' then, instead people such as yourself were cheering the FBI.

It's afterwards when the FBI's focused shifted, calls from certain parties, that the mantra of 'there's something wrong with the FBI' seemed to begin.

8. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Yep, Trump spoke highly of Comey when he announced they were reopening the investigation, invited him to dinner-dates... must have had his feelings hurt when Comey played hard to get.

9. 0007776 Suspended

It’s not self destructing when any damage it is getting is coming from attacks from outside the FBI by the Republican Party.

10. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

The FBI? The people who think it's their right to circumvent individual rights to privacy? It's a wonder people don't like them.

11. Rhonindk thread starter macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Then add recent incidents like the Florida school shooting and the failures there ....
    I wonder if the FBI is not suffering a crisis of credibility.

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

No. The FBI is being attacked by sleazy politicians trying to wiggle out of some very awkward situations. Perhaps the same would have happened if Clinton had been elected to POTUS, but the way that Trump, some in the GOP in Congress, and the right-wing press are attacking the FBI is shameful. So much for the GOP and the right being the political movement of law and order.

People on the right are talking about the deep state, yet the GOP-dominated Congress and the GOP POTUS have done nothing to curtail government surveillance powers, truly obnoxious search practices by the TSA, reform FISA courts, etc. Why? Because they're too busy covering their seemingly corrupt backsides, and they're commitment to civil liberties amounts to a myopic focus on the 2A.

13. statik13 macrumors regular

statik13

Perhaps they are. The current administration seems to have no qualms about throwing the FBI under the bus whenever it needs a party to blame.

14. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

I think them overlooking people being reported who then go on to commit mass shootings isn't helping their cause.

Nor do I think Comey left a good taste in peoples mouths. He simultaneously stepped on Democrat and Republican alike.

15. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

1. I don’t think the public’s perception of the day-to-day activities of the field offices has changed much. Most people never have contact with them. Like any agency there are decent field agents and some real tools. There’s always been interagency rivalries.

2. The FBI leadership especially under Comey was/is awful. The culture and environment he and a few others fostered among the executive leadership will take time to work out. Comey was a terrible Director. He was a disgrace.

16. Irishman macrumors 68030

Well, is your opinion fortified by facts and evidence or your clear anger and emotion?
    --- Post Merged, May 4, 2018 ---

Why do you think she lost?

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

This. Exactly this. But it's not controversial nor are you pointing a finger at one side or the other so people won't give this one much attention. But you are exactly right.

18. Irishman macrumors 68030

Please, give some examples of the FBI doing this? And, include documentation, if you please.

What exactly did the FBI fail to do to prevent the Parkland shooting? What actionable evidence did they not act on?

19. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Much of the opinion is based on partisan maneuvering. When the Special Council was invoked, all of the mainstream GOP leadership expressed their admiration and confidence in Mueller and the FBI. Now we have Party First Renegades in their effort to protect the Liar-in-Chief destroy the FBI. Why not reveal the truth? What is to be afraid of? An easy answer, they don't want the truth revealed about Supreme Leader because their party will own the sad sack and the blow back will hit them in the polls and in their ability to force their brand of opportunist conservatism on the country whether we want it or not.

20. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Time sure does change things.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/chuck-schumer-james-comey_us_581a6527e4b0c43e6c1de4a2

Chuck Schumer: "I do not have confidence in him [Comey] any longer"

Nancy Pelosi: "Maybe he’s not in the right job. I think that we have to just get through this election and just see what the casualties are along the way."

Barack Obama: "...we don’t operate on incomplete information, we don’t operate on leaks, we operate based on concrete decisions that are made."

That comment from President Obama about not operating on leaks sure didn't age well.

Anyway, the FBI is not self destructing. They got dragged into politics, or maybe injected into it by the higher-ups, but even with a few high profile mistakes I wouldn't say the public should be concerned.

21. Huntn, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The state of our unraveling is occupying the White House for all to see. :(
    The self destructing FBI narrative is little to do with reality and all to do with conservative partisan politics, if you can even call it that. These days it seems less about conservative and all about seeking advantage. Maybe the two terms conservative and seeking advantage are synomous. :(

22. Irishman macrumors 68030

How exactly was Comey a disgrace as director? Do you feel the same about McCabe as Asst Director?

23. Vanilla Ice, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

The FBI has been on a lot of Americans radar since the Clinton emails and now the never ending Mueller investigation against the President. With Comey doing a flip flop show me the money book tour, having 2 FBI agents that are/were having an affair getting caught texting negative things about the president all while being on the Mueller investigation team (removed from the case since) the Florida high school shooters warnings from the public that were ignored etc... The FBI have been starting their own fires and making the agency look bad. So of course people are going to have a negative perception towards them.
    Don’t forget about the Rap game.

24. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

Well yeah, when the agency engages in questionable or outright illegal behavior that tends to happen.

25. Irishman macrumors 68030

Is it illegal or unethical for a fired FBI Director to write a book telling his side fo the story that led to his firing? No.

Is it illegal or unethical for that same book to sell well? No.

Similarly, it's not against the law to get "Caught texting negative things about the president". If it were, we'd be in a banana republic, and 45 would be an actual Autocrat (like he seems to really want) instead of just idolizing about them. Do you remember Turkey's autocrat Erdogan, who came to visit the White House 11 months ago, and whose goons attacked protesters there?

Do you know what the White House or Trump or Congress did about it? Not a damn thing.

What specific examples can you provide to strengthen your claim of "questionable or outright illegal behavior"?