Is the Samsung 840 Pro worth the price jump?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zackkmac, Dec 3, 2012.

1. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

Hi all. I am about to purchase a 2012 15" MacBook Pro and would like to get a 512GB SSD for it. Currently in my 17" I have a Crucial M4 and so far it has been great. From what I've read, though, I could get a lot more speed and reliability from a Samsung drive.

Thing is, I could get another M4 for around $350, I actually bought mine for $318. That meant that I paid $0.62 per gigabyte. A Samsung 840 Pro 512GB is, at the cheapest, $566. If I bought that one, it would be $1.10 per gigabyte. The next one I saw was over $700.

My question is do you guys think it's worth the extra $200-$250 or more to get the Samsung drive? That's a steep increase in price when I'm only paying $350 to begin with.

2. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

3. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reference! I didn't even consider the 830 because the 840 Pro is at an okay price point.

Unfortunately 512GB is what I need right now. I have already tried the 256GB route and keeping my files separated with some on an external is just not for me, I like to have everything on one drive. But I might look into the Fusion Drive setup and if I go that route then I will probably get a 256GB.

I can afford to get the 840 Pro, as I have some extra $$$ right now, but I'm just not sure if it would be worth it or not. I'm happy with my Crucial M4 right now but if it's that big of a difference I wouldn't mind paying extra.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

What is you do that you'd actually notice the extra speed of the 840? Has your M4 really been any kind of a bottleneck in doing that? (Whatever "that" may be). If you're just looking for R/W bragging rights then go for it I guess.

Man, that must've been agony waiting on that lowly, conventional drive to spin up before your SSD came along.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I would go for the Crucial, then :)
    There's a reason why it's still a bit cheaper than the Samsung...it's due to quality of the controller/memory modules.

However, if you already are happy with a previous Crucial, then I don't see why not?

Speed wise, like mentioned above, I highly doubt you're going to push any of these SSD's to the max.

6. zackkmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's what I'm thinking as well. I can afford it but would rather not buy it unless there was a monumental difference, which I am reading that there is not. So I will probably still go with the Crucial M4. It has been reliable and very speedy. Also I kind of like having both Crucial RAM and SSD in the computer. :p

Hungry&Foolish, thanks for the info on the 840 issues. :)

7. brentsg macrumors 68040