Is the screen on the 13" MBA better than the 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by OceanView, Oct 26, 2010.

1. OceanView macrumors 65816

I have a 13" MBP and I've been disappointed with the screen.
    Has anyone compared the screens with the 13" MBA and is there any difference?
    Any better?

Besides the resolution, is the screen less reflective?
    I personally dislike the glossy screens but when I was at the Apple store the new MBA's looked as if the screen may be a little less reflective (hard to tell in the store).

2. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I love both screens I think they are one of the nicest on the market. My new MBA13 screen looks nicer than my current model MBP13.

3. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Its a higher resolution on the Air than the MBP. Expect this to be fixed in upcoming revisions ;)

4. TxMacAddict macrumors 6502

1280x800 for a 13" is way too low in the age of "retina displays."

5. OceanView thread starter macrumors 65816

Besides the resolution, is the screen less reflective?
    I personally dislike the glossy screens but when I was at the Apple store the new MBA's looked as if the screen may be a little less reflective (hard to tell in the store).

6. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

You're right, it diesn't have the sheet of glass over the front so suffers from less reflections. Though it is still a gloss screen as opposed to matte.

7. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Is it similar to the MacBook in this regard?

8. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

yup

9. Fanboyofnothing macrumors member

It feels more matte than reflective to me. And I love it. It's crisp and sharp. No complaints whatsoever.

10. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Sweet. That is one of the main reason i preferred the MacBook and Air over the 13" Pro. So much less glare and reflections. Now the Air has had an update it would be my laptop of choice.

11. superego macrumors member

It should be about on par or better than MBP in every respect except for color gamut. Apple hasn't advertised Air's color gamut, so it's likely to be similar to previous generation of MBA's. Color reproduction should be good enough, but MPB's are still probably better in that respect.

12. er2429 macrumors member

Agreed.

13. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

Everybody says that... :confused: I actually like the vivid colors obtained with glossy screens. I'm about to buy an air, and I wish I could choose a glossy screen to go with it...:cool:

14. iDave macrumors 6502a

I've never understood this. You are in the majority, I suppose.

New TVs these days all come with a reflective black bezel around the screen which creates annoying reflections of every light and window in the room. Why?!! Same goes for glossy computer screens. Perhaps colors look prettier and more (over) saturated, but it's not worth it to me. I'm planning to sell my MBP to get an Air, partly because the Air's screen is not quite so reflective.

15. tkermit macrumors 68030

tkermit

I love sharp displays as much as the next guy, but I also like UI elements that are still displayed at a reasonable size. Of course, once we have functioning resolution independence in OS X, I'd want the highest resolution possible - until then 1280x800 at 13" seems like a good compromise to my eyes.

16. INEEDANOTEBOOK macrumors member

I confess that the quality of the glossy screen of the Imac is among the main things that decided me to go Apple (from a morose IBM thinkpad). Since then, it has always been a joy to use... And it goes decadently well with my D90... :D

17. size100 macrumors regular

Scientifically pq wise the glossy screens will be 'better' than matte screens. Subjectively most people will say the glossy screens are better. The drawback is the reflection. There are ways for them to minimize the reflection but its a compromise between picture quality, 'reflectiveness' and price.

18. tim100 macrumors 65816

most on here prefer antiglare.

19. tmoerel macrumors 6502

Who are you calling 'most'. I prefer glossy for sure. Much better color rendition and contrast.

20. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Oy Vey, you should use the word "MANY" rather than "MOST" as "SOME" people are so sensitive even though they know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

That being said, I prefer matte screens but that's not really what the thread is about. The MBA has a glossy screen, period. It's not "slightly glossy" or "matte-ish", it's just plain glossy but not nearly as reflective as the MBP's with a glass overlay.

21. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Yep, definitely a glossy fan here. In that regard my 13" Air screen is just as good as my '08 15" MBP. In other regards: of course it looks crisper having the same resolution on the smaller screen; but it doesn't seem to have as good viewing angles, especially horizontally.

22. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

True. Even so, I personally prefer it to my glassy 15" MBP screen. I don't mind glossy screens, but I'm not a big fan of the ultra-reflective glass-covered screens they're putting on their new products. The OP's original question is of course subjective. Objectively, the MBP screen is "better" in terms of viewing angle and color gamut, but I for one am glad that Macs still exist without this "feature". If I were in the market for the MBP right now, I would choose an antiglare screen. That said, I'm very happy with my ultimate 13" Air's glossy screen.