Is the space used by "Other" on my 32 gb 3GS too high?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by diesel, Sep 18, 2009.

1. diesel macrumors 6502a

I have quite a number of apps installed on my 32gb 3gs, about 156 and they take up about 4.31 gb of memory with music taking up 4.77 gb, however the "other" category takes up 8.31 gb of memory. Essentially i only have about 11.63 gbs of memory free. Where is this "other" coming from and is it strange that the "other" is almost double the size of total size of the apps? Do i need to be worried?

2. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

have you ever hacked your iphone?

i know after having mine jailbroken it has alot of "other" space left on it for some reason...

also i dont know about the 3gs having this but if you use it as a thumb drive maybe you have files on there?

3. diesel thread starter macrumors 6502a

never been hacked. i do have airsharing pro but i don't have that many files on the phone. :(

4. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

hmm, not sure then i would reccomend restoring the phone over from scratch (factory settings)

it does take a while, but it will get rid of those floating files (or whatever it is taking up 8 gb) that would be too much for me seeing as im using a 16gb

5. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I also suggest restoring your phone.
    Another method is to jailbreak your phone, and then use MobileFinder to find those 'big' files.