Is the speaker audio quality on the iPhone 6+ worse than the 5?

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
My previous phone was a 5 and the audio sounded fine. Now I have the 6+ and for some reason, at low to medium volumes, the audio (when using the speaker) sounds distant and muddled. At higher volumes it's not really a problem. I've not tried it caseless, but i've used two different cases and have had the same problem.

Am I alone here? It almost seems like the audio is directed away from me or something.

Thanks!

Last edited:

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
It sounds about the same to me. One thing I noticed is I had to adjust how I held it to my ear. I was so used to the smaller size of the 5S that is was natural to place the speaker right over my ear every time. Now with the larger size of the 6 Plus, when I hold it, the speaker is not always over my ear, and I have to move the phone so it lines up with my ear. Then all of a sudden, it's just as loud as the 5S.

Angel841

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Had the same problem with my 6 plus. Specially with the sound when I send an iMessage, it sounded worse than my iPhone 5 and retina iPad mini. When I received my phone, I restored from backup from my iPhone 5. Then I decided to restore the phone as new because of the bugs on iOS 8. Must of the bugs continue but it sounds much better now. I know it doesn't have anything to do, but to me it sounds better.

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
It sounds about the same to me. One thing I noticed is I had to adjust how I held it to my ear. I was so used to the smaller size of the 5S that is was natural to place the speaker right over my ear every time. Now with the larger size of the 6 Plus, when I hold it, the speaker is not always over my ear, and I have to move the phone so it lines up with my ear. Then all of a sudden, it's just as loud as the 5S.
Ha! Same here! I actually meant the speaker, though. Thanks for the observation though!

55test55

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Had the same problem with my 6 plus. Specially with the sound when I send an iMessage, it sounded worse than my iPhone 5 and retina iPad mini. When I received my phone, I restored from backup from my iPhone 5. Then I decided to restore the phone as new because of the bugs on iOS 8. Must of the bugs continue but it sounds much better now. I know it doesn't have anything to do, but to me it sounds better.
Hmm, interesting. Maybe its just a software bug. I've had a ton of problems with iOS 8 so I wouldnt be surprised.

AllergyDoc

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2013
Utah, USA
The sound out of my iPhone 6+ is light years better than on my 5, both from the speaker and especially from the headphones. 8.1 beta 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.