Is the Sprint 5C Unlocked? This is interesting

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by benyben123, Oct 11, 2013.

1. benyben123 macrumors newbie

Hi.
    Does anyone can confirm if the iPhone 5C by Sprint (bought at full price) is UNLOCKED?

Thanks so much!

2. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

If history is going to repeat itself then the iPhone is 100% Locked, however I'm kind of interested in knowing as well because I have yet to see anyone confirm/clear the doubts.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

You'd be better off purchasing the Verizon 5c unlocked, it comes with all the radios, CDMA, GSM, LTE, etc. Then you can take your iPhone and use it with any network you want. But, double-check the Verizon 5c will work with Sprint.

I have a "Verizon" unlocked 5s, currently using it with T-Mobile (GSM), works perfectly. Also, Sprint sucks, they are a major pain in the ass. Verizon has the best CDMA network. And GSM is used around the world, so easy to pop in sims anywhere, so you can go with ATT, T-Mobile, or tons of smaller competing carriers around the world. Why people stay with Sprint and their stupid "lock" policy is beyond me.

4. DcGamer05 macrumors regular

DcGamer05

With truly unlimited dialup on the Sprint network you can... Oh nevermind

5. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

Agreed. I searched for a T-mobile 5S for weeks, and right in line to buy it I swapped it for the Verizon model. There's no reason not to get that one if one is purchasing it at full price.

I'm not sure about the Sprint 5C, but given the usual policies of these companies, it's going to be locked for sure. Sprint always locks their phones to their network.

If you're buying full price, get the Verizon. Otherwise, cancel your sprint contract and then get the Verizon :p

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Check mate.

[​IMG]

7. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

This is funny because I'm getting the same speeds with my Sprint LTE and everyone wants to talk about them being slow. Yes there 3G is trash, but the LTE is completely usable and quick.

That said Sprint's iPhones for the most part are locked. I however bought mine from Apple and is completely UNLOCKED on Sprint.

8. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

You had wifi on >_>

9. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

My 3G is pretty decent averaging 2Mbps with speeds maxing around 2.7Mbps.

Check again look where it says October 5, 2013, that is on LTE.

10. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

if a phone is bought through Apple , are they all unlocked? how do I find out if mine is? thx

11. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

No, your wifi symbol is showing that it was on up at the top of the phone, by the Sprint logo.

12. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I was on WiFi when I took the screenshot but the test was done on LTE, you can tell by the signal bar logo near the date October 5, 2013. For reference here is a speedtest I just did over WiFi see the difference?
    [​IMG]

13. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

Oh yes, I see now! Sorry!

I know Sprint's LTE around here is pretty damn awesome, but I've never tested the speeds.

14. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

:cool:

15. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

Can you shares screenshot with a T-Mobile SIM or AT&T SIM running on your phone?

16. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

Sprint iPhones are locked, always. They can only be unlocked for international use only, not domestic.

17. Lammercy macrumors regular

Bet you feel stupid.

18. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

I don't have an at&t or tmobile sim but if I did I would.

Here's how I got an unlocked phone that's Sprint. I originally bought the phone from Apple. I had to get a Genius Bar appointment because it was messing up. When I went they had no Sprint 5C's in White so they got an unlocked one and Sprint activated it for them. I had a co-worker put there Verizon sim in and it worked. So I know it works with Verizon. Not sure about AT&T or T-Mobile though.

----------

This is the truth. If your phone is a Sprint phone ... Which 99.99% of the time it will be ... Then it is Locked to any domestic carrier. No way around it EVER

19. EstaVidaLoca macrumors regular

20. rtomyj macrumors 6502a

rtomyj

I see. Very confusing. xD

----------

Stupid? No.
    Unfamiliar with the app? Yes.
    You can call me names if you want to, I couldn't care less.

21. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

The problem is, on the vast majority of their network, there is still not LTE. So, "trash" is all most users on Sprint get.

----------

That's cute.

[​IMG]

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

YOU WIN!

Happy?!

Verizon and AT&T will always beat Sprint on LTE speed. Nobody is arguing that. So. You will win each and every damn time.

Now, for the rest of us who are using Sprint LTE we get the consolation prize of having useable unlimited data. Notice the word I have used here. USEABLE!!!

Not fast, not anywhere near AT&T and Verizon speeds, but useable. And useable matters far more to us Sprint users when loading a web page or streaming music or opening an app. Because we don't NEED 56 down and 7 up to do that.

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

It's NOT unlocked. Why do you keep making these topics just to troll the forums? What's the point? That's literally what all of your posts are about.

Plus someone already made a topic regarding which ones are already unlocked.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1649517

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You are correct. In 99.99% of cases, the Sprint iPhone is locked and can only be unlocked for international use.

However, there is one very minor exception and here's how.

Apple has a deal with Sprint. Because of that deal, Sprint MUST honor what Apple asks of it inside the terms of that deal. If Apple does not have a Sprint iPhone Apple can and has at least in two cases I am aware of furnished the customer with an UNLOCKED (international AND domestic) iPhone. Because of the terms of it's agreement with Apple, Sprint MUST activate that phone. The IMEI of that iPhone is already in the unlock database and so is therefore unlocked and even if Sprint doesn't like it the deal requires them to activate it.

That is the only exception I've ever seen to this and it's rare. And I didn't even know it could happen at all until about a week ago.

25. Tthomas612 macrumors 65816

Tthomas612

My iPhone through Sprint is UNLOCKED. I know this for sure. So mine is UNLOCKED. Not by Sprint by Apple... I'm not trolling just telling the truth

----------

Just need usable.

----------

I know this for a fact is TRUE! I'm just happy to be a lucky one ... Lol