Is the Sprint iPhone 4S bought before 11th Nov Still International Unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by majrul, Nov 24, 2011.

1. majrul macrumors newbie

Hi,

If someone can urgently confirm whether the Sprint iPhone 4S is still unlocked or not for international GSM use if it was bought before 11th Nov and is not been locked by Sprint with the latest 5.0.1 update?

-Majrul

2. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Sprint's network is CDMA; so I doubt very seriously it'll even work on a GSM network.

3. fcoco32 macrumors newbie

Yes the sprint iPhone can work on gsm networks.

4. majrul thread starter macrumors newbie

But the question is still unanswered, is the phone still unlocked by default?

5. lanspawlo macrumors newbie

Philippine SIM works great on my iPhone. Got it on launch day.

6. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

You can call them to have it unlocked, if your account is over 90 days old and in good standing. Otherwise the lock was pushed to them as of 11/11.

7. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

8. GadgetGeek407 macrumors 6502a

You guys are confusing the OP please don't post if you don't know the answer. Sprint iPhones are indeed GSM & CDMA, all the new iPhones are able to use GSM. Any iPhone activated on or after 11/11/2011 will be sim locked at time of activation and there is NO FIRMWARE update that will ever lock that sim. However any iPhone activated before 11/11/2011 comes factory unlocked for INTERNATIONAL use ONLY!! I did however run into an issue where one of my 5 were locked, I called in and they are still working on it :/

9. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Just want to double check whether or not mine is locked. I activated mine prior to 11-11-11. I inserted my German microsim(from the comfort of southern Illinois) and it finds a network; there aren't any error messages stating the the sim is locked, or the phone is locked.