Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yogibear00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Hello,
I want to buy a new imac. I bought the first version mac pro 2.66 (2006) when came out. I never needed everything it offered. I want to buy the 27 inch 3.2 imac. Does this computer have better specs then my mac pro not counting expandability. I am not sure how the CPU's compare. I never needed the 2 2 core CPU as I only used it to play a few games and the Internet. I really don't know much about computer hardware so the it would be great if someone who did could explain this to me. Thank you

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Hello,
I want to buy a new imac. I bought the first version mac pro 2.66 (2006) when came out. I never needed everything it offered. I want to buy the 27 inch 3.2 imac. Does this computer have better specs then my mac pro not counting expandability. I am not sure how the CPU's compare. I never needed the 2 2 core CPU as I only used it to play a few games and the Internet. I really don't know much about computer hardware so the it would be great if someone who did could explain this to me. Thank you

It all depends on your needs - but sound like you are not one of the crazy power users so the iMac should be just fine (as it is for most people).

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It doesn't have better specs, but it may actually work better for your uses, as you don't need quad core, and it has a higher clock speed. It will definitely be sufficient.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Hello,

You could work out the cost of getting a new display and upgrades for your mac pro vs selling it and buying the imac? Or was it more the form factor of the imac you liked?

yogibear00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Thanks all for the information. I am getting the imac because the mac pro needs a upgraded gpu, The superdrive is bad and has been having other hardware problems. I dont feel as bad buying an imac as i felt i spent to much on my mac pro for my needs. Also the mac pro case has not been updated in forever and i know its a small issue but im so sick of the way they looks. May I ask if the only thing better about my mac pro the 2 extra CPU'S and that you can upgrade it? Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.