is the t-mobile unlocking issue closed? Apple support !

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by micho119, Oct 1, 2014.

1. micho119 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've just spoke with Apple support about the issue and here is the conversation :
    me : is the iphone 6 plus 16gb t-mobile for 749$ comes unlocked out of the box?

Yvonne : Great question, and i'm glad you've asked. The TMobile iPhone6 Plus is not a completely unlocked sim-free device. It's contract-free but not carrier free. It comes to you with a preinstalled SIM for use on their network.

Me : so i can not remove their sim and use another one without getting back to them?

Yvonne : That's something only TMobile can answer at this point. It may just be a matter of wording, but what we consider factory unlocked is a device that's hardware unlocked for use on any network, with any carrier's sim, This phone is only contract-free, and unlocked for use on GSM networks outside of the United States.

Me : so it's up to t-mobile, it's either 100% unlocked or only contract free with ability to use outside US, right?

Yvonne : it is up to TMobile to enable you to use on another network. And up to the other carrier to determine if they will activate; and just to be straight-up, it's not 100% unlocked.

Me: ok, thanks for your help.

So can anyone who got t-mobile from apple store for full price contract free tell us if it worked on another network (outside and inside US) with full functionality of Data and Calls?

Thanks,

2. doboy macrumors 68000

Yes. It's been discussed all over the forum. I actually bought a Verizon version which I'm using on TMo with full LTE support.

3. lwdc macrumors newbie

is the t-mobile unlocking issue closed? Apple support !

If it's purchased from Apple, it's unlocked. Both my original T-Mobile iPhone 6 and my Genius Bar replacement device have had no problems using AT&T.

4. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach