Is the Tea Party over?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Cave Man, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

According to this, they beat the GOP in polling.

3. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Wow... look... a unified National Site, along with Comprehensive Schedule to be updated state-by-state (being updated now for 2010), along with Add Your Event listing and details on the unified local and national, rift-free, state and federal joint organization(s) (see links to orgs above and below) that somehow CNN couldn't find! That must be why they are last in the cable ratings!

Tea Party Revolution Homepage
    http://www.teapartyrevolution.com/Default.aspx

The 912 Coalition
    http://www.thenational912coalition.net/

Tax Day Tea Party - April 2010
    http://taxdayteaparty.com/

09/12/09 March on Washington (2010 Schedule)
    http://912dc.org/

4. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Some internal rift is expected especially with the lunatic fringe that the Tea Party attracts. The link rdowns posted is interesting. Will Palin be the Tea Party national candidate? I don't think the Republicans want her or vice versa.

5. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good- the radical right is falling to pieces, as it deserves to.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hey, anything that splits the conservatives is a good thing.

Yeah...like toilet paper.

8. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The core of the tea party grouping is protesting against excessive spending, humongous unending deficits and high taxation. These people aren't going away, nor are they in any way irrational.

Fringes make the noise and get the attention of the mediahcrities of the MSM, but are not representative of the core of any group.

9. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Just when I was starting to enjoy the meetings of religious extremists, bad spellers and racists :(

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Feedback I got from locals who went to the San Antonio tea party commented on the good behavior, moderate emotions and rational expressions of opinion. It was a multi-ethnic attendance, with a broad range of ages and occupations. Many others I know from across the country gave similar recitations.

There was disgust at the writeups in the press, completely fallacious about the event. IOW, those who didn't actually attend a tea party got a very distorted view of what was done and said.

Now, I don't doubt that some racists and other idiots showed up, but at San Antonio they weren't allowed to display signs nor were they allowed to babble from the stage. They were at most a tiny minority of those in attendance.

11. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Well, I didnt go to any rallies and got all my info from TV and the web. Unfortunately for the "normal" teabaggers the outside world mostly got to see the "nuts". It would be in the best interest of the "movement" to get the nutties out. Otherwise a majority of the populace will have the same view as I do... religious extremists, bad spellers and racists ;)

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Having being at such an event, I can say that the local writeup was accurate.

The crowd was well-behaved and was constituted by older white men and their wives.

There was a few who flirted with racism in their critiques of Obama—no consummation, but a little heavy petting—and additionally several signs that either equated Obama with Hitler or proclaimed factoids that were entirely made-up.

The most interesting thing was how little depth of field, so to speak, many of the attendees seemed to have about some of the issues. I had a moment to speak with Barry Goldwater Jr. and he was very well-informed, but many of the other attendees seemed confused by some basic facts about Obama's policies or the Bush legacy.

I also spoke to a single man who said, "someone should shoot that ******."

It was one of the moments when you just back away slowly as if you've surprised a sun-bathing rattlesnake. Scary, certainly, but not indicative of the wider group.

One of the things I asked was, where were you in 2004-2008? And many didn't have a good answer which was at least honest, if not worryingly partisan.

13. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The Tea Party is behind Palin?

The lady who gave oil money checks to the people of her state? I'm not saying thats a bad idea, but it isn't a hallmark of small government.

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

The Tea Party isn't against big government.

15. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Having a webpage means nothing. Perverted nerds of the world have 4chan but that doesn't give them any credibility.

16. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Funny you mention that. I have a friend who's become devoted to these Teabagging events, and not once in the 4 years I've known him did he know jack **** about politics until Obama ran for president. Then, NPR, Fox, Church, and Teabagging became his life.

Ah, so much credibility goes along with these people. :rolleyes:

17. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

Your friend sounds like he does a lot of teabagging.

Is that all these activists do at their events?

18. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

This is probably more revealing about me than it is them, but I still giggle whenever I read "teabagging". The ignorance of the organizers that came up with that term and those that continue to use that term in a positive manner is astounding.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This is the insidious part of the right wing media. People who are otherwise ignorant of politics listen to that drivel, then come out not with a realistic framework and ideas about politics, but with an entire fictional mythos created by Limbaugh, Beck and that gang. They might as well believe in Cthulhu or the Flying Spaghetti Monster for all they know. But they think they're well informed.

20. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

If that's so, then why would they ever support the republicants? :eek:

They had a rally recently near where I live and my daily errands caused me to drive past them. "Who are all these old white people?" I wondered until I managed to read some of their signs.

Frankly, they should start their own party. They're never going to get what they want from the republicants.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Again, it was the liberal media who first termed them teabaggers. Half of these people are so old they probably don't know what texting is let alone teabagging.

22. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Having attended two thus far, I can convey that the "activists" present are hardly that but instead common citizens (liberals, moderates, and conservatives) upset primarily at the reckless spendthrift of the current administration; extreme debt that will both be passed on and enslave the next generation and yield enormous inflation that will be realized in near term.

23. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

24. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

One sign that said tea bag x before they tea bag you has nothing to do with calling the movement "teabaggers". When teabaggers was used it was meant to be negative towards the protesters, the liberal media started this.

Either way this is fairly irrelevant, if the tea party movement is headed up by Palin it will be DOA.

25. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Something that I always found interesting. Why would you want to name your group after a bunch of people that destroyed someone else property to get what they want (vandals and terrorist by todays standards)?