Is the Time Capsule even worth it now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RangerFan104, Nov 28, 2009.

1. RangerFan104 macrumors newbie

With Christmas coming up, and my parents constantly asking me what I want, I'm debating whether or not I want to roll the dice with the 1TB Time Capsule. It would be great to have my own WiFi because our current one is old and goes down a lot, and I really need a backup drive for multiple reasons.

The problem is, the Time Capsule has some of the worst reviews on the Apple Store. It gets really hot often, and it crashes after 17/18 months. Has this issue been fixed yet? Would you recommend this product?

Thanks.
    :apple: Phil

2. 5DollaFootlong macrumors 6502

5DollaFootlong

Unfortunately, most time capsules have a lifespan of 16 months until they fail. I would recommend getting an airport extreme and a separate usb external hard drive for backups. Unless you need wireless backups, I would stay away from the time capsule.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Are they offering a 1 TB or 2 TB model?

For the money (and what I did), I'd go with the AEBS and a USB HDD you build yourself (I have a Rosewill JBOD USB enclosure with 2 WD 1 TB Green drives hooked up to my AEBS)... it works great and I don't have to worry about the self destructing power supplies like the TC's...

4. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I have one and it doesn't get hot at all (it feels the same as my Airport Extreme that it replaced) and no issues. They re-did them a few months back (added duel band, dropped the 500GB and other stuff) and get Apple Care if you're worried. I have many friends who have the older Time Capsule and well over 18 months and no issues.
    You also have to remember 18 months is a long time for technology, a lot has changed since then.

5. knewsom macrumors 6502a

I'd say that a TC is really only worth it if you have limited space and outlets. Otherwise, an AE will grow with your needs, and is the logical choice. I have a 750GB drive on mine now, but will probably decide to use a bigger drive in the future, perhaps a DROBO, with redundant storage.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a new TC and love the simplicity. Does it all and does it well. And the dual band is awesome. Mine also doesn't get very hot at all... dunno why. It's the newest gen model.

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Same here and mine backs up 2 Macs w/o a problem. It was so easy to set up also.

8. RangerFan104 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your recommendations, the AE Base Station looks pretty good too, my current network is 802.11g so this one would be a neat upgrade, I basically lose wireless if I leave my house.

If I get AppleCare with my TimeCapsule, and it crashes like everyone else after 16 months... what will Apple do for me?

9. Perrumpo macrumors 68000

Perrumpo

You don't get AppleCare with a TC, you get AppleCare with a Mac with a TC. IF you buy a TC around the time of buying a Mac with AppleCare, the AppleCare will cover the TC.

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

They will fix it. My Time Capsule is covered for 3 years, I figure in that time they will have better wireless technology and a better system.

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Yes, I've read this in all the places that report on Mac viruses, iPhone worms and how Apple is losing it. Meanwhile, I bought the first Time Capsule that arrived at the local store two years ago and I have not had a single problem with it.

If people are finding that their TCs are dying I would like to know. I don't see it in this thread. I haven't seen other threads reporting massive failures (and people complain about everything here). There is nothing on Mac Fixit except people asking the same question.

So, what is your experience? Post your horror stories below. Thanks

12. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I do like the idea of separating the drives and the router. AEBS for me.