Is the touch bar MBP worth 300€ more?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hyloba, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Hyloba, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

Hyloba macrumors 6502

Not regarding the actual touch bar, as I will probably use the laptop in desktop mode a lot, is the 13" touch bar MBP worth 300€ extra?

So besides the touch bar, you get:
    Better cpu
    Better gpu
    Faster ram
    4 ports (though 2 at half speed)
    3 microphones

Smaller battery
    2 fans so probably louder

Are those specs worth the price? I don't want to regret buying a cheaper version and getting frustrated by it.

Who would benefit from these specs and who would manage with the non-touch bar MBP?

I will be using this macbook as a general usage machine and for editing images in photoshop and designing with illustrator. File sizes can get big.

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

If you can afford it I would get the more powerful system for your tasks.

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

I went back and forth on it a lot too, I finally decided was that this really isn't a 1st gen product. Even though the whole packaging changed, each piece is individually mature in their own sense. The question is, if TB become pretty useful in like 2 years and you end up keeping the laptop for 4 or 5, will you kick yourself starting year 3 for not spending the extra money? And the CPU & Misc. upgrade is worth a fair bit of that $300, so it's pretty reasonable. If you change laptop in 2-3 years, it might not matter as much.

4. keviig macrumors 6502

Actually, it having 2 fans means 2 heatsinks and 2 heatpipes. Having 2 fans go at a low rpm is better than having 1 going at high rpm. The 2 fan setup for me is actually a reason to get the Touch Bar model. It also has air intakes on the side that the non Touch Bar model doesn't have.

5. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the insight!

6. Hyloba thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't think of that! 2 fans would indeed be quieter then, thanks for the reply!