Is the Trump Administration Afraid of the Press?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac 128, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

maybe he needs more room for russia's news service.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Because the press sucks. YouTube & twitter are more than enough

4. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

But how would you function without the news? Your arguments are b
    Based on the news.

5. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I've had enough of the press to last me a lifetime. If Trump himself will just directly tell us what he's doing and follow up with achieving it, we can just get results.

Here is to hoping that after inauguration his Twitter will be filled with actions, not just emotions.

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

You are the one complaining so......

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And you'd believe trump, because ...?

8. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I am complaining about you going on about Hillary. Old news its over.

9. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Maybe because the Press Room only holds 49 - old and small ... Maybe move it to a bigger better equipped venue.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The press are who get out there and find out what's going on (at least the actual working press as opposed to bloggers and aggregators). If you don't want to do it all yourself, then you must rely on objective reporting by others. If you regard Trump's tweets and bleats from his press conference podium as all the news you can use, then you will be thoroughly conned in short order and you are the mark he's looking for. Wake up.

As for hoping Trump tweets about actions he takes after being sworn in: be careful what you wish for.

11. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I did specify with follow up with achieving it. That means proof. If I believed the reporters, media, press etc, Hillary would be president. So getting my sources from them is just as much of a coin toss as Trumps Twitter account.

12. duffman9000, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Er, said nothing about her on this thread

14. MadeTheSwitch, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017

MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I get that results are some sort of measurement but to dispense with the press and just listen to the silver tongued liar-in-chief would be foolhardy. Without the press we would not know that Trump violated a Cuban embargo, engaged in self dealing by using charity money to buy portraits and pay off his legal bills nor that he ran a fraudulent university. Those are things that only get revealed with a free press.

Hasn't seemed to be an issue for Trump at Trump tower.

15. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

It doesn't make sense to say what you posted there.

Trump's twitter account is a reflection of whatever ticked him off today or impressed him about himself.

The mainstream press is about reporting world, US and local news and opinion.

The voters determined who would be president, and Mr. Trump won. The mainstream press had forecast that Clinton would win, and they were incorrect. That does not mean anything and everything else the mainstream press wrote all during the campaigns was incorrect.

Just the fact that you could know who all 17 candidates were on the Republican side in the 2016 primaries, for instance, was due to mainstream reporting. Alternative press generally has a narrower focus and does not desire nor pretend to broadly cover "the news", not even all the political news.

If you cared to know the bio info on those 17 people, mainstream media presented it for you in the beginning of the primary season and assigned reporters to cover them as the season progressed. Alternate media was focused on deriding the opposition and celebrating their chosen candidates. These are vastly different approaches to reporting "news". Of course one is free to read whatever one wants but should not confuse mainstream media (or any alternative media either) with the twitter account of Donald Trump.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Okay. But who provides the proof? Some accomplishments and forms of proof aren't as obvious as a 2,000 mile-long Great Wall.

17. Breezygirl macrumors 6502

Breezygirl

18. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

Hate to admit it, but I think you're right (about Twitter, that is... the fact that the press sucks is a foregone conclusion!).

But that's the problem. Every channel, agency, etc., has their slant - if one doesn't see that, it's because they agree with that slant, be it left or right.

19. HEK, Jan 16, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2017

HEK Suspended

HEK

Dah.....you tube and twitter are not the press. Any dummy can tweet, the Don proves that every day.

The press are journalists that probe and ask uncomfortable questions to keep our elected officials "on their toes" so to speak.

Our founding fathers realized that a constantly questioning press, is the key to a true democracy. You may not like all the questions, Trump sure doesn't, but that just the point.

No single question or viewpoint reveals the truth. It's through the jumbled mess of probing questions that the truth is eventually gleaned. Yes-men, and boosters of ego, do not bring us closer to truth. Only hard questions and critical analysis of the answers does.

20. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Afraid of the press? They are a natural enemy. Wikileaks proved the MSM is nothing but a Democrat-run propaganda machine, talking points and all.

Would you want to let in organizations which publish and disseminate fake news and work to actively brainwash weak-minded people into thinking you are "literally Hitler"?

21. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Critical analysis is hard.

22. HEK Suspended

HEK

Yes let every news organization in. You seem to have it confused. Hitler would not allow dissent, free press to challenge what he said. That's what dictators do, try to quiet dissent and opposing thought.

If Trump is so smart and is doing thing right for the American people, he has nothing to fear from any press. After all won't people like you see right through the lies. What's the matter, you think the rest of us need to be sensored to make good decisions. Who is the Hitler here?
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2017 ---
    That's the whole point of a free press. Various differing ideas to keep challenging our government.

I am continuously amazed by people that want to quiet dissent. The idea to censor the news is right out of every dictator's playbook. I guess these people admire Hitler, Stalin, Kim Jung-in, Putin and the like. They were all for stopping ideas different then their own.

23. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Predictions are never certain, and some writers do seem to understand this. You should be skeptical of point estimates derived from polling data. They use them because they're simple to set up. It also grabs more eyeballs than a confidence interval, eg we expect 'blah' to fall in the range of lower_bound to upper_bound with 97% certainty. That tends to be a bit more accurate. There's also the issue of they're sampled and whether people give truthful answers.

This election was a bit surprising in that Trump took states (sometimes by >2%) that generally voted for democrats in national elections. I figured it would be close, but I didn't expect some of those states to flip.

24. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

Lol...your move Steve.

IMG_6320.JPG

25. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Ah yes, the soon to be sworn in liar-in-chief would be so much better off without our large journalistic institutions to fact check him.