Is the Trump vote the U.S's Brexit?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Nov 9, 2016.

1. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Is the Trump vote the U.S's Brexit? Do we have any video showing people saying they voted for him but didn't think he was going to win?

2. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

No, the Trump vote is a path towards Kanye2020.

3. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I think it's probably on a grander scale but he may surprise us. Brexit has been a disaster so far but we are working through ways to hold our heads above the waterline.

4. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

I don't want to derail the thread, but I'm interested in how Brexit is already having disastrous effects if you care to enumerate.

5. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

Do you mean a protest vote that will have unwanted direct and indirect consequences? Probably.

6. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Difference is the losing side can't nullify the results.

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Idk to be fair though wasn't brexit a popular vote which incidentally enough trump lost

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

My company have suffered a dip in trade since June, mortgage companies are not lending the full amount (I had to find £5k) despite the valuation on my new house, Europe are now calling the shots on our trade deals, we've had a rise in racist attacks, the pound is at a record low for the past 15 years, the cost of living is going up as imported food has increased in value, electronics prices have risen sharply... To name just a few.

Disastrous might be extreme but nothing has improved since the vote. Our major political parties are against it despite having the job of sorting it all out. It's a complete mess and very few are basking in this fantasy that we are experiencing true freedom.

9. NeilHD macrumors regular

It's not the same as Brexit. If Trump turns out to be a disaster, then they can get rid of him in 4 years time.

In 4 years time here, Brexit will only just be beginning to really bite as we'll be in limbo with no EU membership and no trade deals with anyone.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's a rebel shout. "we're sick of the status quo" etc. Now there's nothing wrong with that, it's misplaced anger for sure with both Trump and Brexit. But I believe in giving them enough rope to hang themselves. If, in a year with Brexit and 4 years with Trump there have only been negative changes to them people, well they're going to shout again.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    True - but the effects last. Despite who won the US had opened a huge can of bigotry worms. That's going to be difficult to stop now.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The United Sates votes for president every four years. Brexit was a one-time referendum.

Not even close to being the same.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who are we leaving?

13. Herdfan macrumors 6502

I disagree. Both were the result of the establishment ******** on the little guy. Little guys got pissed.

14. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

There are the tears and whiners though. :p

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

No if Trump won the election and then the liberals decided that Hillary deserved to win instead it would be like the Brexit.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Guess that depends on how you look at them.

I do see a common thread of nativism that runs through both, as well as other similarities.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 10, 2016 ---
    Nicely put.

17. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

That is what people don't get. Those that 'voted as a joke' are just telling that to the media, but they voted for that because they wanted it.
    Both countries chose wrongly and emotionally IMO, but democracy won and should be respected. Now, its a wait and see.