Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
FDA approves a technique to help aging eyes read better

By Alice Dembner, Globe Staff, 3/30/2004

One more symptom of aging fell to science last week when the federal government approved surgery for the loss of close-up vision that strikes people over 40.

The three-minute procedure, called conductive keratoplasty, or CK, uses radiowaves to reshape one eye and enable it to focus clearly on nearby objects. The Food and Drug Administration found CK safe and reasonably effective, allowing CK to join face lifts, hip replacements and botox shots in the anti-aging arsenal.

But don't throw away the reading glasses yet. The results gradually wear off and doctors expect many patients will need retreatment in three to five years. In addition, most patients will still need glasses when reading long manuscripts or fine print. And for people who are also nearsighted or have longstanding far-sightedness, other surgeries, such as LASIK, that use lasers to cut and reshape the eye, may be more appropriate.http://www.boston.com/news/globe/health_science/articles/2004/03/30/is_the_type_getting_smaller_or_are_you_getting_older/

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Well, Arn must be getting on because he made all the avatars and buttons bigger!

At 41 I am on the edge of this longsightedness change, and I still have no trouble with small type, but I suppose working onscreen all day long might have an impact on that.

Every few months over the last year tho, I have experienced subtle temporary focus problems that my optometrist says is to be expected as the eye's minimum focus depth shifts (one eye at a time for heavans sake!), and the brain takes a few days to recalibrate!

It can make my on-screen time seem a bit trippy on and off.

My minimum focus has moved out about 1-2 inches over the last year, so I guess its on its way.

As they say, why are you having another birthday, aren't you old enough yet? ;)

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
mvc said:
Every few months over the last year tho, I have experienced subtle temporary focus problems that my optometrist says is to be expected as the eye's minimum focus depth shifts (one eye at a time for heavans sake!), and the brain takes a few days to recalibrate!
)

Does this mean you turn your head and squint when reading?? ;)

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
No, its more like my head needs to be in two places at once to focus comfortably. It passes after a coupla days, the brain simply adjusts somehow. I only notice it on-screen.

And squinting is over-rated! :cool:

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Gotta love those targeted ads! The ones on the bottom of this page (when I looked at it) are all for reading glasses and Lasik procedures. :p

I hate bifocals, but I need them. Around 40, my eyes became too weak to focus on the computer screen anymore.

Ah well.

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Thomas Veil said:
I hate bifocals, but I need them. Around 40, my eyes became too weak to focus on the computer screen anymore.

just get the ones where you can't see the lines where the lenses change. no one'll ever know youre wearing em

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
gwuMACaddict said:
just get the ones where you can't see the lines where the lenses change. no one'll ever know youre wearing em

I agree the graduated lens is great. My glasses are trifocal. I was reluctant to get them. Had a fear about adjusting, but it works pretty much automatic as advertised. Also the new plastic lenses are a life saver r/t safety and weight.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
gwuMACaddict said:
It's not that. I had bifocals once, and just couldn't get used to the idea of tilting my head up to read things close, and tilting my head down for things more distant. I ended up taking them off to read, just as I do with normal glasses.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 20, 2002
Thomas Veil said:
It's not that. I had bifocals once, and just couldn't get used to the idea of tilting my head up to read things close, and tilting my head down for things more distant. I ended up taking them off to read, just as I do with normal glasses.

That's probably what make the difference in adjustment to bifocals. My glasses are the first thing that I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. My clear eyesight is about once inch in front of my nose without glasses. As I said, I don't really remember even having to make much of an adjustment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.