Is the unibody macbook one of apple's best notebooks ever?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by I'm a Mac, Jan 5, 2009.

1. I'm a Mac macrumors 6502

I wanted to get a secondary computer for mostly travel and vacation purposes, and toyed with the idea of a macbook air but then I realized that although it's a great product, it was too expensive and a little impractical for my needs, especially if I'm not carrying it around every day.

Then I thought about getting a Macbook Pro for travel- I figured the screen would be great for movies- but then I thought about it and for travel purposes it would be overkill and a lot to schlep around. Then when I saw the new unibody macbook- the build quality really amazed me. Is it me or is this thing really amazing?

Even though it might be less bang for my buck, because it better suited my purposes, I went with the 2.4 macbook over the last-gen MBP for less money? Am I an idiot? Or does anyone else think this thing is as amazing as I do? Every time I look at it I'm amazed by the quality. Does anyone else think this thing is as amazing as I do (I'm equally as amazed by the new MBP, it's just that this is a consumer model, which makes it more surprising.)

Also, does anyone think that the form factor of the macbook beats out the mbp?

2. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

For purposes at a consumer level, I would have to agree.
    I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail (it's been stuck in SACRAMENTO since Saturday and it's making me angry :mad:)

Congrats on your purchase. :D

3. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Yes she is very sexy! Oh you mean the Macbook! yes they did a great Job on the build, quality, finish. I love the look of it nice and thin. I think they will upgrade the MBP to look like the rest of them. The wife said the other day I wish you spent as much time with me as you do your Macbook! I told her at least it turns on and off when I want it to!!!

4. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally feel the 12" PowerBook was, but meh.

5. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I think the 12" powerbook was such a technologically advanced machine for it's time that everyone who got to experience it's release are still in love with it till this day.

Not saying it's not sexy of course. ;)

6. superwoman macrumors regular

I thought the Titanium Powerbook was a thing of unsurpassed beauty.

7. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

Yes I have to agree with you on that one! I sold my 12 Powerbook to get the new one, some days I wish I still had it, it was the perfect size for the lap.

8. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't remember the powerbook 12" that well, and unfortunately I never got to experience it. (I was an iMac guy) But I did always have admiration for aluminum powerbooks, they were light years ahead in design and power of everything else on the market, if they were a little more reasonably priced they would've been a lot more succesful. And now I can see why the 12" powerbook was so unique- all that power in such a portable body

but now the unibody almost takes away from that design- they did they unthinkable- they beat out the design of the old macbook pro/powerbook

also, was there a big difference between the alumbook and tibook?

9. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

10. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'm very happy with my Macbook, I was going to get a pro, but it was a waste of money for me and it was overkill, so I got the Macbook and I couldn't be happier.

11. philosopherdog macrumors 6502

philosopherdog

The unibody is my 1st Mac. It's quite an unbelievable machine. I was buzzing for a week after I got mine. From what I've read it's probably the 1st Mac notebook that really runs cool. I think when you combine the innovative build and build quality, with the cool temperature this thing runs at you really can't beat this machine. Battery life is unbelievable. I get at least 6 hours with wifi off, sometimes more. It's so thin and light I just carry it everywhere with me. The screen is unbelievable too. I wrote today is a sunny library on it and it was incredible. What I love about Apple is how build on the success of previous incarnations. And then to top it all off you've got OS X. Incredible value. The 12 inch silver Macbook was the first Mac that really caught my eye, but the unibody Macbook was the first one that made me run out and buy one.

12. MacJenn macrumors regular

12 inch PowerBook by far. The newbies will of course say the unibody but that is all they know.

13. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

I think it is one of Apple's best notebooks. Certainly there have been greater, but as far as great notebooks I think the MacBook is a winner. I am absolutely amazed at how much this thing can do, without paying a premium price. From a design standpoint, it has the sexiness factor without compromising utility. Very nice notebook.

14. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I had a 12 inch PowerBook, but i prefer my Unibody.......its better made, and faster.....

15. I'm a Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

What, in your opinion, was the greatest then?

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

+1

Had a 12" for close to 3 years. Loved it. Got the unibody 2.4. Sold the 12". Was sad to see it go; for about a day. Haven't looked back. Even my GF, comparing the two said the 12" was starting to look dated. It sure ran like it was becoming dated, if for no other reason than the unibody's 802.11n vs. the 12"g.

And I gave my GF a MB Air for xmas. She too had the 12" for 2+ years. She loved that computer, but once she tasted the Air, it was no comparison.

Ugh. Speak for yourself Miss 100 Posts. Don't give the rest of us a bad name with pedantic blanket statements.

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It isn't fair to compare the speeds of the 2. One is much older. That wasn't the question anyways.

18. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Not just you, yes and yes.

But best ever? That requires comparing the notebooks based on historical context. Comparing the powerbook to the unibody today isn't really fair as technology has moved on.

For it's time? I think the powerbook was better for it's time period even though the unibody is definitely amazing for it's time too.

19. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

The 12" PB was a slick machine. However, if Apple released something similar (12" Pro with 9400/9600), with what OSX can do today (Bootcamp included) It would be killer!

20. mkaake macrumors 65816

The 12 was nice, but it always ran hot (at least the one I used...) - and despite it's slim dimensions, it always seemed like it weighed more than it should.

Great machine, looked great, but it's not quite the be-all end-all of mac laptops.

My nomination? Pismo.

21. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

I have just bought the last gen macbook black. It was a toss up between this machine and the new alu MB. It took me ages to decide (well 45 minutes).

I couldnt be happier with my purchase. I am out and about alot and I dont even notice im carrying it in my bag, the screen is great for DVDS, battery brilliant.

For some reason the only thing I found appealing about the new MB was the glass screen, nothing else really did it for me :)

22. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

I recently replaced my Rev A whitebook with a 2.4 alumbook... best thing I've ever done in my life. :D:cool:

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agree. Even if it was in the MB13 format.

Who knows, maybe Apple would introduce a MBP13 one day. Not holding my breath but would love to see it.

24. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

But that's what gave the powerbook character. It doubled as a stove...

[​IMG]

25. n8236 macrumors 65816

I agree with another poster than it really depends. Every notebook that arrives has its own bells and whistles. And for their time, it's always the hawtness until the new arrives. So the OP's question is really relative.

But just to entertain the thought, I think iMacs of 1998 were the *****z! (Though it was a desktop)
    http://lowendmac.com/musings/08mm/imac-g3-legacy.html