Is the United States Government Corrupt?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Mar 25, 2008.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I have no link or quote at this time; instead, I'm leaving the question in the thread title wide open for you to answer or comment however you like. Before you say anything though, take a moment and ask yourselves what George Washington would think about how this country is being operated if he were alive to witness it today. ;)

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Corrupt and incompetent, surrounded and supported by the corrupt and incompetent, but why did you have to start a new thread for this?

3. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

5. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

It was after watching the two part series "Bush's War" on PBS FRONTLINE and the season finale of Jericho that got me pondering whether the U.S. Government could be corrupt. I wonder what few choice words George Washington would have for Don Rumsfeld. :D

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I was going to say, Is the <<Insert Name of Country Here>> Government Corrupt?

7. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

According to Americans, everybody. And if you hate us, you're just jealous. But some of us are very self centered. USA! USA!

But no, seriously, our gov sucks. As a matter of fact, they suck worse than anyone else's. Ever! See, we still win. Either way, it's all about us baby. Why do you think we spell it U S. ;)

8. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Not every government is corrupt. I see no hint of corruptness in The Principality of Sealand.

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The answer is a big yes, Our govt isnt working for the people anymore. It works for the corporations who in turn give candidates big $$$ for commercials on TV so they can get elected. In essence they are bribed by the corporations. So our Govt is working for Greed and $$$ and only notices the people at election time. Or pretends to.

Hypocrites infest our Govt. Bush is a great example. Calls himself a christian yet started a war,wants to torture, spy on Americans while ignoring borders, trying to sell our ports off and build a highway from Mexico to Canada without any oversite by the U.S. or his wanting to get the people who outed out a cia agent but then pardons Libby knowing well Rove & Cheney were behind it all the time. Hypocrite and Corrupt.

10. Queso macrumors G4

LOL. If it isn't it's the only government on the planet that's clean.

And the likelihood of that is pretty much 0.

11. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

We definitely as a nation need to figure out a way to keep corporation finance out of election campaigns.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This would solve 90% of our problems. At the moment its the democrats and their special interests vs the republicans and their special interests and the people are on the side lines. Neither working for the Constitution or its people.
    The system is broken, some of us have to wonder if its broken beyond repair.

13. RacerX macrumors 65832

Any government made up of people has the potential of being corrupted. The solution was simple enough... don't give anyone too much power and have a system of checks and balances to keep any one part of government from getting too far out of line.

The mistake we are faced with is a political system of two competing parties... parties which operate outside of the normal checks and balances, and parties whose members put political considerations before those of the public interests.

What is funny is that part of the solution to our problem here in the US was put forward by our founding fathers, and then quickly removed... I think we should repeal the 12th Amendment.

The president should be the winner of the election, and the vice president should be whoever came in second. Do you think that Bush would have attempted half of what this administration has done if Gore was watching over his shoulder? The Executive Branch was never intended to be controlled by a single party, and it is the single party control of that branch along with blind party loyalty in the other branches that have brought us to where we are today.

And lets be clear about this... just because the Democrats are less corrupt than the Republicans doesn't really make them all that much better. When people put party before country, we have a problem... and I've seen enough of that from both Democrats and Republicans to realize that neither of these parties are a solution because both parties are the root of the problem.

14. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Those of us who live in it? You will be jealous when we elect Obama later this year :cool: :)

15. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

Interesting idea. Unfortunately, I don't think it would really solve anything significant for a couple of reasons: First, Cheney has had more power than any VP in the history of our country. Second, NORMALLY the VP does little more than sit in on the Senate and maybe cast a tie-breaker vote once in a while.

If Gore had been VP, we might not be in the mess we're in now, but that'd be because Cheney wouldn't have been around to whisper in Bush's ear, not because of any sanity-factor that would have been imposed by Gore.

16. RacerX macrumors 65832

Actually, what I'll be proposing is that the vice president be in charge of a shadow or mirror executive branch. That is to say, for every appointment made by the president, the vice president makes an appointment with the same clearances as the president's appointment has.

The real problem isn't that bad policies are being carried out, it is that the executive branch has effectively cut out the oversight roles of the other branches. The best way to ensure that oversight is not lost in this way in the future is to build oversight into the executive branch.

Additionally, I would suggest that the vice president be required to include a signing statement of sorts... that is, for every document signed by the president, the vice president must provide his/her opinion of the document and how he/she would have acted if president.

One of the things I think this would do is stop the political fighting and negative campaigning... would you really want to stab someone in the back and then have them watching your every move for the next four years?

17. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I don't really have any solutions, but some observations going back to the 1960s: The onset of LBJ's Great Society dramatically increased the importance of the federal government to people's lives and business actions/profits.

The result is that more and more disparate groups have come to look to the central government for solutions to problems and to "largesse from the public coffers". Business interests of all sizes lobby to gain position and reduce regulatory overhead. I lump all of this as "human nature"; not at all unexpected.

Politicians are people, and many people like perks and power. Election and re-election become ends in themselves, and so you see dedication to those efforts which then lead to vote-buying. There's little difference in the degree of corruption between Republican and Democrat; they merely operate in different arenas.

Since party support is very important in our system, and control of the federal budget is essential to continued power, we have loyalty to party as supra to "the good of the nation".

IOW, we've gotten a helluva lot more Nanny State than we ever expected, and we're all suffering for it. IMO, it's out of control. I have no clue as to any politically viable "fix". Never forget that no major changes will ever occur which are not politically viable.

'Rat

18. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

The gov't doesnt.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- there's no question it is. Our main problem is accountability. Politicians are rarely punished for breaking laws that any ordinary citizen would be sitting in prison for. Ask yourself what would have happened to Bush if he'd pulled the crap he's pulling now 30 years ago.

Not this administration anyway.

20. Desertrat macrumors newbie

leekohler, the lack of accountability has long been a problem--and there's more direct impact on individuals from the lower echelons of bureaucracies than from Those On High. There's at least a minimal chance of change via ballots for TOH. No Congress has ever been willing to bring about any notable change in the problem.

'Rat

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You're correct- and this administration has taken lack of accountability to staggering lows. Lack of accountability is what I see as our main problem.

22. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yes of course it is, are there any that aren't?

23. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i agree, and i would like to also add to that the people are seen as threats to the government and they try to keep them distracted so that they are a non factor to their effort to to takeover, by passing laws that favor companies who's job is to keep us busy with daily life and less aware of what's going on in washington.

the two party system isn't helping either, you're just choosing your flavor of corrupt government, and that's why i'm not registered with any political party, neither of them care for the people, they only care for lobbyists and companies.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The problem is that you have the same old men in there for 50 years. There is never any turn around because they never want to leave. Some of them have a strangle hold on their seats so nobody runs against them. We need term limits for Congress and Senate. You have to blame the people as well. They are the ones that keep voting the same people in.

25. lofight macrumors 68000

lofight

I think with George Bush, things are very corrupt. Plus keeping hard facts secret.