Is the Unlocked 5S the same as the T-Mobile option?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ivabign, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Ivabign macrumors 6502

If I want to buy an unlocked iPhone 5S for use with any carrier - do I buy the T-Mobile option? I don't see an unlocked GSM phone option....

2. FX4568 macrumors 6502

Yes, but you can't use in the verizon networks or sprint.

3. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

I asked myself the same question today, i called apple and they told me that the contract free t mobile is unlocked.

4. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

I called Apple this morning after someone else noted the change on the website. (no longer offering a sim-free version), and the Lady I spoke with said she noticed the change as well, put me on hold for two minutes, came back and confirmed the No-Contract T-Mobile iPhone 5s is unlocked.

Apple has a 30 day return policy.. if it ends up not being unlocked, return it, and wait for the unlocked version to be released.

5. xy2j macrumors newbie

I just called Apple as well and the woman I spoke with said that she was told the t-mobile version is not unlocked. You would need to set up a line of service with them in order to use it.

6. MicroMacTosh macrumors member

It's locked to tmobile and can only be unlocked after at least 40 days

7. skimcpip macrumors regular

False. If you buy it from the Apple store it is unlocked. It's crazy how the same question can be asked and answered so many times on these forums.

8. MicroMacTosh macrumors member

So are you telling me everyone I talked to is lying ? I'm not talking to junior sales people but managers and higher ups .

Believe me , I thought it was unlocked but it appears to be locked , unless everyone doesn't know what they're talking about .

What are you basing your opinion on ?

The Verizon iphone 5s is unlocked for sure

9. samven582 macrumors 6502a

the tmobile and att model are unlocked when bought at full price

10. note235 macrumors 6502a

How can it be locked when tmobile doesnt have a "contract"?
    guaranteed the full price ones are unlocked

I've bought 3x each year with the 4S, and 5 and they are unlocked.

11. MicroMacTosh macrumors member

Dude you have no clue what you're talking about .

----------

It'd contract free , but needs to be used with a prepaid tmobile sim

Tmobile is saying this for the 5s , doesn't matter if full price , will be locked for 40 days minimum

12. samven582 macrumors 6502a

Oh I definitly know what I'm talking about. Bought the AT&T iPhone 4s/5 at full price and it was unlocked. 99% sure it same for the T-mobile one

13. Rigby macrumors 68040

On the Apple store page for the 5s, it says this under the T-Mobile version:

"When you travel internationally, you can use a nano-SIM card for iPhone 5s from a local GSM carrier."

This means the phone has no provider lock. Since there is now only one model for the big 3 US providers, there should also be no reason to worry about different LTE bands anymore.

14. note235 macrumors 6502a

agreed

Just connect to itunes and it will say unlocked
    don't pay att sim in first though (past years, this could have changed)

guaranteed that tomorrow's full price phones will be unlocked

15. predation macrumors 6502

well if you look in the iphone 4s section there are two options for contract free
    t-mobile and unlocked....
    the only difference i see is the tmobile one comes with a tmobile sim.

16. orbitalpunk macrumors 6502

orbitalpunk

I've called 3 Apple stores here in California and they all told me the same thing. The T-mobile version is locked to T-mobile in the US BUT they said it will accept other sim cards from international carriers only. It will not accept other US carrier sims. As other have pointed out the 5c does have an unlocked sim free option on Apples website but there is not a sim free option for the 5s on Apple's website. So I think is fairly safe to say we need to wait for the "sim free" option if we want a true unlocked 5s in the US.

But hey, if anyone wants to chance it and buy the tmobile version and see what happens when they put another sim card in it, please please report back to this thread.