Is the Unlocked iPhone 5 changed now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hello12, Apr 12, 2013.

1. hello12 macrumors regular

Since T-mobile released their iPhone today, do the unlocked phones they sell in the store support AWS 3G for T-mobile? Anyone know where we can find this out?

2. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

You must pay full price, to which they'll unlock the phone for you. Their iPhone in T-Mobile retail stores do support AWS.

3. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Not yet. If you look at the Apple Store website, you see you have to select T-Mobile or SIM-Free. If you order the SIM-Free, you most likely will get the old version. My guess is they will do this until they get rid of all the old stock. Then the new model will replace it officially.

But if you want the updated model now, you can just order the unlocked T-Mobile version and remove the included SIM.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I don't think it will happen instantly.
    I believe the stores will sell whatever old stock they have and then when they get more they will receive the updated version of the unlocked iphone with all of Tmobiles bands supported.

5. hello12 thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone that has bought a unlocked one today or yesterday know?

6. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

7. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Yes, they will be. But not yet. I talked to an employee at my local Apple Store. He said the standard unlocked iPhones are still the ones without AWS support. Once their stock is gone, the unlocked versions will all be the new model.

8. MVRL macrumors regular

MVRL

I am not sure if that is true. I just talked to an Apple customer service rep a moment ago regarding this. He confirmed what I quoted from Engadget - all the unlocked phones sold post yesterday are the new updated version.

He also said that if you bought your phone recently, they might just allow you to exchange to the newer models.

9. bozzykid macrumors 68020

It wasn't true Friday. My local store had older model unlocked phones. You can tell by the bottom of the box (it won't say 1700/2100 under UMTS).

You have 30 days to return any phone bought from the Apple Store. So if you bought in the last 30 days you can return it and they will usually do a straight exchange (or just give you a gift card which you can immediately buy the new one).