is the upcoming iPhone likely to have better predictive text?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jojoba, Jul 31, 2012.

1. jojoba macrumors 68000

It's my number one issue with the iPhone (screen size being the second, which seems to be addressed). I would really love to have my phone integrated with my iPad and Air, but I just refuse to type out just about every word when my crappy, cheap android will give me three different word alternatives as soon as I tap one letter. I email and text a lot with my phone, and don't want to switch to a phone that makes this process a whole lot slower. However, apart from that, I'd really like to switch.

The thing is, that I don't really understand why it isn't better? Apple has such high quality and user friendly products, so I don't really get why this hasn't been incorporated.

Does anyone think iPhone 5 will have better predictive text?

2. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Has zero to do with the phone...that is an IOS problem, and while the prediction may be better, I don't see them changing to the android style keyboard.

3. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Considering how this is a software thing and not hardware... I don't see that happening. I've only used an iPhone, so I can't really relate to your issue, because I have no problem actually... typing the words that I want to type. I feel like I might be annoyed if it kept popping up alternate words that I didn't want to type. But if done well, it could be nice.

If you are alone you can always use voice dictation also (or not alone, whatever floats your boat).

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

I totally agree with this...I hate seeing a lot of words thrown in front of me when I am typing....fix it if it is spelled wrong and learn the weird words i type....iphone does this and i love it

5. jojoba, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

jojoba thread starter macrumors 68000

Yes, I know, it just seems to bother me a bit less on my iPad as I often use it with an external keyboard.

Yes, I do use dictation sometimes on my iPad, and it's a useful feature, but I often email when I'm on the go, so apart from feeling a bit funny sitting and talking loud to my phone on the bus, I don't necessarily want to publicly announce the content of all my emails to my fellow passengers :eek::D

----------

Sure, I see how it's a matter of preference - it's just not my preference at all, although the rest of the iPhone is very much my preference... I wish there was a third party app alternative so people could just take their pick, but I guess that's not how Apple does it.

6. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Predictive text reminds me of T9 in the old days... My first flip phone's T9 feature would learn words as I used them (For Example: Slang, Abbreviations, Swear Words)... My second flip phone did not, so typing became more of a chore...

Every now and then, I am trying to type a name or a place (like a store) or something that isn't a real word... And the iPhone will change it to a real word. I type so fast that I hit "space" well before I notice it wants to change what I typed... Not gonna lie, that annoys me big time.