Is The USA Heading Towards Another Civil War?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Prof., Apr 16, 2010.

1. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Do I really need to explain myself for asking this question?

Birthers, Tea-baggers, The Coffee Party Movement, Radical Extremists (on both sides of the aisle), etc.

I can't help but think America is being torn to pieces. :(

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The media over-exposes the whiners, complainers and fringe because that makes far more compelling programming than showing the vast majority of society getting along.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Let the radicals destroy each other and the remaining 300m can enjoy the peace left behind.

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

'How's that hopey-changey thing working out for ya?

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Not at all. The racists, homophobes and anti-government wackos are getting to pushed out to the fringes where they belong, and they're upset about it.

I saw it yesterday at the pathetically attended Tea Party rally at Daley Plaza.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Working out great for me and most Americans in fact.

Probably even you.

8. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Ugh. Please don't quote that woman.

To answer your question, it's working pretty well for me. I've been able to get a job and now, at 21 years-old, I'm starting college in the fall. So in that respect, I'd say Obama is doing a damn good job. :)

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I got a job under bush and a degree... I wouldn't say he did a very good job.

As for a civil war.. no, people are too weak.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yep- me too. It should just get better.

11. Prof. thread starter macrumors 601

Prof.

Before or after the crash?

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

We have two partys taking turns screwing the U.S. taxpayer and U.S. worker and the last two Presidents thought endless spending is the cure for everything. Its a natural reaction from the population who has had enough of these two partys.

13. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would have said too rational.

But to each, his own.

14. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Before, during, and after. I graduate again in may. I do applaud Obama on taking over the student loans, that would have been great while I was going merely for the fact I wouldn't have to deal with SLM (worst company in the world imo, customer service next to none... on the crap side).

15. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Not even close. The mechanics of how this country works are vastly different than 140 years ago. The populous has a much more direct line to the government (and you'll see politicians sway with public opinion), and there's no one clear geographical divide or stand-out issue. The percentage of population unhappy enough to do something on this scale is extremely dismal. It's not clear how the opposition would even obtain the means to war (a couple of assault rifles and grenades won't cut it). It won't happen.

16. H00513R macrumors 6502a

H00513R

Civil War? No. With the internet, anything nowadays can be blown up to insanity. If a white person sneezes on a black person there will be a million sites claiming racism and the downfall of our society. I think we are okay.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In their minds, they would go about converting military units to their cause through groups such as the Oath Keepers. Once Real Americans™ see the righteousness of their cause, they will join in glorious battle.

To the hills, Wolverines!

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

It's working great, thanks for asking. I hope we have it until 2016.

19. mstrze macrumors 68000

NO chance, no how, no way.

As others have said...a lot of the radical opinions are getting more media coverage and it makes it seems like the country is being torn apart at the seams. :rolleyes:

I will say that we were probably 100 times closer to a civil war in the 60s with the civil rights movement and the battle over Vietnam than we are today....and even then we were no where close to one.

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Agreed. Much better than that 'despairy-stagnatey' thing before. :)

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

How's that 'nopey-changey' thing working out for ya?

22. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Nope...These days people just have to much to lose, even poor people have TV they dont want to go to war over issues that dont really mean that much to them.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Any real threat to stability comes from outside the teabaggers. They are simply dutifully serving to divide and factionalize the people, creating an environment in which some sort of militant unrest could conceivably take hold. I have just read that ugly book that McVeigh had on him when he was arrested - it is short, naïve and quite instructive as far as getting an understanding of the power of a narrow mindset. We could well be heading toward dangerous ground.

24. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Civil wars cool by me. Just leave the west coast alone.;)

25. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

Civil war? No. A revolt against the Government I do see happening in the next 20 years or so. When enough of our freedoms have been spit upon and people are imprisoned for opposing the rulers, only then will people begin to fight back.