Is the white better than black? Not an opinion question or me asking which is better.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LanEvo, Mar 16, 2012.

1. LanEvo macrumors 6502

It seems that every place I have looked, all the white ones are sold out, yet all the black models are in stock. Anyone have a conjecture for this?

2. Jspring86 Suspended

Jspring86

I think people just love the white color for the iPad. All of the white models are sold out in my city as well.

3. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

I bought white. That said, we don't know how many of each color Apple had manufactured. It's possible they built twice as many of the black ones.

4. tonyy macrumors 6502a

tonyy

The white looks clean and Apple used it for most of their marketing this year.

I still bought a black one though.

5. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I tend to see a lot more white ones where I live. But, in my opinion, black is better for watching movies and viewing photos. Less distracting than the white border.

6. LanEvo thread starter macrumors 6502

I plan on getting the black one as well, as I have always owned the black in the past, however, the white may be the one to appeal to me this time. But I will most likely get the black as it is all that is available atm.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

My iPhone 4S is white. My new iPad is black. I prefer a black bezel on the bigger screen. It's better for viewing photos IMO.

8. jinrawke macrumors newbie

I have one of each right now and will be returning the white tomorrow.
    This is my first iPad and I had to see for myself what everyone else was saying was true.
    Fingerprints are more noticeable on black
    White looks especially good browsing white screen web pages.
    Black looks better for everything else, especially videos. It's the same reason why you don't see TV's with white bezels.
    The dark scenes just blend in with the bezel whereas the white bezel boxes the image in and makes it feel constrained/smaller.

9. eikast macrumors member

Black absorbs light.
    White reflects light.
    Light =heat
    White = less light absorption = lower temperatures

10. azure247 macrumors 6502

Who the hell uses ipad in bright sunlight? It is called glare.
    Therefore your argument=bad

11. DS3 macrumors 6502a

And if I ever used my iPad outside, it would be in a case which blocks the bezel anyway.

I prefer black.

12. MR1324 macrumors 6502

13. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

White TVs are produced. They're not as prevalent as black, but my family have one in the kitchen. It's a Samsung.

14. PanAm-L1011 macrumors 6502

This was my thought too. I had black for iPad 1 and iPad 2. I decided to mix it up and got white. I don't think it's distracting at all.

15. Roy G Biv macrumors 6502

Roy G Biv

If the iPad New bezels are like the iPad 2, then white bezels are matte while black bezels are glossy. Thus, the black bezels probably reflect more light (you can see your reflection in them--but not the whites).

The blacks' reflections can be distracting, so I think it's a toss-up on which is more distracting. I've read before, black tends to be better for movies, while white tends to be better for text because of white page layouts.

16. orbital~debris macrumors 6502a

orbital~debris

I love the look of the white iPad, but I think the black edge of the display (inside the bezel, at the outermost edge of the screen) is more noticeable than it is on the black iPad, where this border blends seamlessly with the bezel colour (most of the time).
    The end result is that the black iPads just seem to be glass and pixels.
    The effect of the black screen edge on the white iPad draws more attention to the different constituent parts of the construction.

17. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I love it in white, have both the iPhone & iPad 2/new in white, don't think I could ever go back to the black. :)

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No conjecture has to be made. Apple made more black units.

19. GarryBacon macrumors regular

I had the black iPhone 4, when the 4s came around I wanted to get white to prove that I have anew phone because they look practically the same (except for the antennas). So having a white iPhone was the reason I got a white iPad. I was going for the black until about 2 days before. It's amazing. White all the way. But in reality black is more popular.

20. crghwkns macrumors member

I had a white iPad 2 but went black this time. I have to say, so far I think I prefer white when it comes to browsing the web. I'm not suffering from buyer's remorse or anything, change is good, but my experience flies in the face of accepted wisdom. A white bezel blends in more naturally when viewing this forum, for instance.

Bottom line, I'll live happily with black for this generation but will be returning to white next time.

21. meechy macrumors 6502

22. Built macrumors 68020

I went with black (again...just like my iPad 1 and 2). IMHO, the bezel on the black is less distracting...Since I use the iPad very frequently to watch movies on long plane trips, the black was the way to go for me.

23. eurobum macrumors member

Not just your opinion. This is pretty much FACT. Another fact, though, is that most people are sheep. If Apple presented it in yellow with pink polka dots people, even posters here, would say:

"Is it just me or is anyone else really feeling them pink polka dots? It really brings out the saturation in Angry Bird. Definitely getting that one. That's what Steve would've wanted."

24. MartyXB macrumors member

I got mine in black. Simply looks nicer when unit is off - black edge to edge so it looks bigger.

25. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Besides, everyone knows white is for girls... ;)

I'm kidding!