Is the White MacBook likely to get upgraded along with the MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jw2k, Jan 13, 2010.

1. jw2k macrumors newbie

Hello,

Apologies if this question has already been discussed - I did have a skim down the first page of topics but couldn't find anything about this.

I've read a lot of the rumours about Apple updating the MBP with the new Arrandale processors, and I'm currently considering buying a white uMB, but wasn't sure how likely it might be that this model may also receive a minor speed bump at the same time. I'm guessing that it will remain as it is, and that the MBP updates will serve to distinguish the two models slightly more clearly - especially since the white MacBook currently offers better value for money than the cheapest MBP. Still, knowing Apple have got some upgrades on the way, I'm slightly nervous about buying a white MacBook now, just in case it gets a speed bump in a month's time...

Any thoughts? :)

Cheers,
    J

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I say no. Given the recent updates it doesn't seem likely. Also, Apple needs to separate the 13" MacBook Pro and the MacBook much better then they are doing now.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol id be surprised if the 13 mbp gets this update. most likely for the 15 and 17

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I disagree. iThink that the 13" MacBook Pro is in a weird predicament. Even if nothing new gets introduced for the 13" (i.e. no new processor/hard drive sizes) they have to bump the specs in my mind, buying a MacBook Pro over a MacBook right now isn't logical minus a port or two.

5. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You seriously did not just do that.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

iThink iHe iDid. :cool:

As for the OP, I wouldn't expect the Unibody White MacBooks to receive an update this quickly, probably 1 cycle behind the MBP units for processor updates.

7. jw2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your input everyone. I might hold off until the MBP updates are announced, just in case they're so amazing that I decide to spend the extra £100 to get one of those instead :)

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It probably will get an update but does it necessarily need to have the Nehalem architecture? Could we possibly see the 13-inch remain with Core 2 Duo with increased clock speed and then the 15 and 17-inch be updated with the i5?

9. Ava's Meeshee macrumors member

If this upcoming event exists, and is indeed the "mobility event" it's rumored to be, I think, taking into account that the Apple store has now integrated their entire notebook line on one comparison page, the average cycles according to the guides are converging, and we're hitting upon a new processor delta this year, it's pretty darn likely we'll see an across the board refresh if not significant update to Apple's notebook line.