Is the wilful starvation of children accepted as terrorism?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by unid, Jun 6, 2010.

?

Is the unnecessary mass starvation of children widely accepted as terrorism?

1. No this is not terrorism, and should never be classed as such.

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  2. I think it should be, but it isn't.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Yes it is.

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

2. unid thread starter macrumors regular

Interesting to me in the context of Navi Pillays' statement. "International humanitarian law prohibits starvation of civilians as a method of warfare."

3. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It is not terrorism, but it is a crime against humanity.

4. unid thread starter macrumors regular

and terrorism is a crime against humanity.

so where do the perameters of terrorism end/ other crimes against humanity begin.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Whether terrorist acts are necessarily crimes against humanity is, I think, debatable, but it isn't a debate I wish to have right now. Even assuming for the moment that they are, however, dogs and humans are both mammals, but that doesn't make you a dog.

Mostly, I take issue with reducing the word "terrorism" to a brand name and diluting it to meaninglessness by applying it to every undesirable thing a person can do. To begin with, the object of forced starvation is not obviously to terrify. Further, though, to think that the starvation of children needs to have that trendy label slapped on it is to disrespect the actual horror of it.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I think we should call it "beardyism".

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Is the unnecessary mass starvation of children widely accepted as terrorism?

You be the judge.

I'd just remove the word "widely" and re-word the poll.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Since 1994, the United Nations General Assembly has condemned terrorist acts using the following political description of terrorism:

"Criminal acts intended or calculated to provoke a state of terror in the general public, a group of persons or particular persons for political purposes are in any circumstance unjustifiable, whatever the considerations of a political, philosophical, ideological, racial, ethnic, religious or any other nature that may be invoked to justify them."

So it would seem there needs to be a political motivation or purpose to it. You provided a very general issue of child starvation. As the topic was so broad, I would expect the causes to be varied as well. Attempting to categorize it all under the definition of "terrorism" appears to me to be sweeping with too broad a brush.

9. unid thread starter macrumors regular

Well exactly surely there is little more meaningfully terrifying than starving to death, and since 'the word' gets bandied about so much it seems it's reasonable to consider within the light of the alledged greatest terror of our time.

10. unid thread starter macrumors regular

can i edit a poll?

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

saying there's such a thing as "unnecessary starving of children" suggests there's such a thing as "necessary starving of children" which doesn't seem right

12. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I was charitably reading that as willful starvation of children.

13. unid thread starter macrumors regular

Perhaps that's the difference between capitalism and warfare.

14. unid thread starter macrumors regular

go on...

15. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I have no idea what you're expecting here.

16. unid thread starter macrumors regular

17. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Because the word you chose instead didn't mean what you seemed to be trying to express?

18. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Are people starving in Gaza?

I've heard that there is aid crossing into Gaza on a regular basis, including food and other humanitarian supplies. I'm not trying to pass judgment, I'm merely asking whether there really are people starving.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/32598706/Gaza-Strip-Merchandise-and-Humanitarian-Aid-2009-2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...7806209/Dispatch-Just-how-hungry-is-Gaza.html

Also mentioned in that article that men as young as 40 were needing blood pressure pills! I can't even imagine the stress.

19. unid thread starter macrumors regular

Well I think we have to look to the most independent source we can find on the scene, which in my opinion would be the UN.

source Unrwa

20. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

So, they aren't starving. They are poor, on food aid, and highly stressed. Sounds like some neighborhoods in the US.

Voting for Hamas might have something to do with their poor economical situation.
    :D

Gaza deserves to be poor. There's more legitimate and deserving groups of people in the world who are actually starving and dying. Nobody's starving in Gaza. The biggest welfare recipients and hypocritical crybabies on the planet will get zero sympathy from me.

22. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh come on. No one deserves to be oppressed, poor, and forced into a terrible situation. Not everyone supports Hamas, and Hamas hangs people who they say are spies. Not exactly a good situation for activism.

I'll agree that Israel is at war and has valid security interests in maintaining its blockade, but your lack of empathy for people who disagree with your views is stunning.

Personally, I think Hamas must shoulder a large chunk of the blame, but Israel is not without its fair share of atrocities.

Well, they had their elections and that's who they voted for. I don't feel sorry for people who got exactly what they wanted.

I see no difference between the Palestinians in Gaza and if millions of KKK members were given their own piece of land somewhere. I would care equally as little for both groups.