Is the world headed to another mass global conflict?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Apr 10, 2018.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

9/11, financial crisis, #45's victory.
    All of those in hindsight it is easy to see the signs something big was going to happen.
    (news reports in 2006, 2007 of people with no job getting 300k mortgages are loud warnings)

I read this about the rise of populist in Europe, how once ardent anti-communists are taking full control of levers of government and making enemies of the weak (instead of just taking advantage), the refugees from war torn middle east (Libya, Syria, Iraq).
    Then we have significant issues in Africa (seem more war than previous decade), Rohingi, India, China, North Korea, and of course Putin's Russia.

Common thread: Nationalism and fanatical religion, and they are related.

In past it was a conflict of Capitalism/Democracy vs Communism/Authority and an a tangible focus.

National cooperation of years past has eroded, Brexit and recent elections in Europe have put in question the EU experiment.
    #45 has thrown into doubt UN/NATO/other treaties in attempting to balance the commitments.

And of course what the internet has revealed.

Now the situation is nebulous, but there are these signs, markers, but what will it form into?

Just wondering.

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Prob just get more people to complain on Facebook and then go back to normal life.

3. 0007776 Suspended

I think some sort of major conflict is inevitable, but it’s probably about 10-20 years away unless some idiot like Trump launches it sooner. Fascism is rising again around the world, we had to fight it once, we will have to fight it again.

4. chagla macrumors 6502a

chagla

i for one welcome our new robot overlords

5. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

That is the rub.
    You are assuming "we" (I assume America) will oppose fascism, but it is entirely possible "we" will be the fascists.
    In the 1920's Germany was a democratically elected parliament, in 1933 it morphed into a popular dictatorship.
    And that is not the only example.

The world is at play and anything can happen.

6. 0007776 Suspended

I agree with you that America might be the fascists, but even in Nazi Germany there were some who fought against fascism in the resistance. So I guess by we I was more referring to anyone who cares about freedom.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Well, when you have the Liberals, the military, the hawks of both parties, all using the language of war, and clearly pushing for the spark of a global conflict in Syria, we’re far closer to a spiraling conflict than you’d ever know from watching corporate news.

Regardless of whatever event is going to spark it, I’m not fighting for any oligarch owned nation, you can’t wave a flag hard enough for me to participate in the destruction of humanity.

8. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I am wondering if the next conflict will actually be local in the US.

9. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Looks like we could be headed that way. Trump's a big enough idiot to spark it off over Syria and Pence is itching to fulfill idiotic biblical prophecy in the ME, (as are many of the other Dominionists in the government). Trump has already threatened Russia in Syria. Who knows what he'll cause in the next week or so. Best thing I saw about this was from Thomas Knapp today.

10. 0007776 Suspended

I doubt we are heading for a civil war, that said if Trump keeps angering our allies potentially Mexico could end up as a staging ground for China to invade from in a decade or two. And Trump’s wall wouldn’t be able to stop it.

11. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'm of the opinion that gassing a bunch of innocent people (many of which are just little children) is probably the worst kind of possible crime one could commit. I'm no fan of Trump but I agree with him here, something has to be done.

12. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Trump doesn't enjoy the support Hitler did, and if trys anything shady someone will just shoot him.

I really think this forum cedes way to much power to Trump.

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I would hope not, we can argue policies all day long but I will never support assassination or even the talk of it, we should ALL strongly condone it. Don't like a president who was elected by the laws of this country? Get active and vote them out.

I really think this forum cedes way to much power to Trump.[/QUOTE]
    Agreed, a president really does only have so much power but Trump has really worked hard to sway markets over personal vendettas and turn the entire political system upside down, and not for the better IMO.

15. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

I do not disagree with your take, but the fact of the matter is that we just do not know who was responsible for the gas attack. For all we know ISIS could be sitting off in the wings laughing their asses off, right now, because Assad is getting the blame for something they may have done. Chlorine is hideously common. Trump and the hawks are all going off half cocked and throwing fuel on an already raging fire.

16. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Everyone seems to universally agree that it was Assad, he's done it before, the missiles are the same and it's against the same rebels. The only one's really denying it is Russia and they have zero credibility.

17. 0007776 Suspended

Sure, but it is equally likely that the rebels did this to themselves to ensure that the US stays involved, attacking the wrong person in response isn’t much better.

18. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

The ones that agree it was Assad are the ones that seemingly want to go to war. Yeah, Russia isn't helping things by denying a UN investigation but there is just no solid proof at the moment. I am not willing to see WW3 start over this. Assad had everything to lose and nothing to gain by using gas at this point in Ghouta. The rebels were already withdrawing. I would prefer that the UN slap sanctions on Russia and force an investigation to determine guilt. Not run in guns blazing.

19. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was not thinking of #45 when I wrote that.
    #45 has shown how much power the pulpit has, that outright lies will be believed some a large percentage of listeners.

In short, someone else will learn and take advantage, but be much more skillful in application.

20. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

What about carelessly launching missiles towards innocent people (many of which are just little children) while enjoying a cake as if it were a sport? That's beyond disgusting.

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Care to provide a reference? The last strike was on the airbase that originated a chemical weapons attack.

22. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

I'm refering to what he did with the chinese last year.

23. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

True, but Putin is all innocence once again, all but blaming it on some 400 lb. guy sitting on his bed with a laptop. When you see Vlad doing his “Who, ME???” routine, you can bet he was behind it, or at least egging it on. Putin seems hell bent on generating ever-increasing circles of chaos.

24. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

and just as dead from the O end of a rifle..

Americans will put up with a lot of crap witness 45 but the second any president really starts trampling on the the bill of rights that person will be a corpse.

Too many people from the Mafia to the Military lose when the pres takes things too far which is why I don't worry as much about who the president is. The president doesn't make laws, he doesn't decide fates, it's a person with a pulpit and the simple fact that there's a pulpit means mortality. While the pres is the CiC and the CEO the job is relatively powerless in the long term and is really a figure head and definer of American values at any given time the job is temporary and can really cause no long standing damage, we know it and so do our allies. If you combine that with the simple fact that we switch parties every four to eight years and handicap and totalitarian ideas at two to four years in no president gets any unpaid space in my head nor should he/she in anyone else's. 45 isn't a harbinger of things to come he's a last gasp of desperate people and should be treated with no more seriousness than any other last gasp.