is ther a way to revert an iPhone 2g on iOS 3 back to iOS 1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Daniel3102, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Daniel3102 macrumors 6502

Hey guys! I started collecting old iphones and I have a 2g running on iOS 3.1.3. Is there a way to get it back to its original iOS 1 (or the lowest possible)?

Thanks!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, but it is difficult. The easiest to get to is iOS 1.1.4. For that you need iTunes 7.5. Anything lower than that, you need to patch out the baseband update manually.

3. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Hey Intell, you seem like you really know your technical stuff and are much smarter than I, just was curious if you know what it was/when it was that Apple started implementing whatever they did that made it impossible to downgrade your OS on future iOS devices? I remember the term 'blobs' was used a lot in the past and they say now they no longer 'sign', but what measure did Apple actually implement to prevent any downgrade of OS?

4. Daniel3102 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I need to get iTunes 7.5? Is there a way to downgrade to it?

5. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SHSH blobs were first used in the 3Gs. With iOS 4, Apple introduced "soft" SHSH blobs for the iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2. The "soft" SHSH blobs can be skipped with a bootrom exploit.

I suggest using an older Mac or Windows box to downgrade to iTunes 7.5. It doesn't work very well or at all in Mac OS X 10.7.5 or newer.