is there a better temp monitor than "tempature monitor"

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Bottomsup, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Bottomsup macrumors regular

everytime i start it it says my HW isn't supported and I can't change the temp that shows by default in the system tray.

I'm using a 2011 MBA

thx

2. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

Perhaps I am not understanding what temp monitor you are attempting to use, but most people on the forums use iStat to monitor temps. Small widget, fairly accurate.

http://www.islayer.com/apps/istatpro/

3. Bottomsup thread starter macrumors regular

sorry for the lack of clarity. I'm using this one

http://www.bresink.com/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

I'm rather new to mac (just a few months) and disabled the dashboard because it seemed to be idling with a few % CPU and I was paranoid about battery life.

Perhaps I'm overly paranoid about the dashboard and should re-enable it?

thanks

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah I use iStat pro and it's pretty good. I'm running it on my 2010 MBA

5. iphonsteve4ajob macrumors regular

The dashboard client barely takes 1% cpu. Let it run and use your 3 finger swipe liberally. :p

6. ipaclansite macrumors member

I use iStat, I find myself checking the temperature quite often. It seems to get hotter while charging, I'm guessing thats expected.

7. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

8. misterbig macrumors member

Can't believe no one's mentioned smcFanControl, it's the best I've seen so far and you can manually adjust your fan speed as well: http://www.eidac.de/?p=207

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I've been using that one for quite a while. The previous version actually had a serious bug in it and it would end up using 100% of your CPU if left to run. Luckily they've fixed it now and I am very pleased.

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

+1

11. JonLa macrumors 6502

My 2010 C2D 13" was running a little hot (into the 70Cs at times with some apps running) and just starting to get too warm on the lap.

Installed SMCFanControl, set up a profile to make the default fan speed 3000rpms instead of 2000. It's lovely now. Also displays the CPU temp in the bar at the top.

12. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

+2 SMC Fan Control, may not offer the same depth of reading`s Temperature Monitor or iStat offer, what it does do extremely effectively is allow manual increase of the system cooling, monitor CPU temp & Fan RPM.

You can create profiles for battery, mains, charging. I increase base fan speed to 3000 for charging as this offsets the heat generated by the battery.

"smcFanControl is just an application. So after downloading, and unzipping it, drag it to wherever you want (e.g. the Application Folder). To uninstall it, just drag it into the trash. smcFanControl installs no permanent background processes or daemons. All changes smcFanControl does to the fan controlling get lost after you shutdown your computer (power off, not restart) or enter standby mode (as far as you don't have smcFanControl running) . Minimum fan speed then falls back to the system defaults values."

I have used smc Fan Control for several years without issue; the software has helped to cool and keep my 2.4Ghz Penryn 4.1 MacBook Pro running nonstop since 08, if I know that I am going to push the machine I can choose to intervene and increase fan speed. It`s harder to cool a hot system down, than prevent the heat build up in the first place, and anyone with a Penryn 4.1 will tell you these are hot machines, you wont be using one of these on your lap ;) not at 76C CPU and the case at over 40C in comparison my 13 inch i5 Air is an "iceberg" :) and smc Fan Control works equally flawlessly with Lion.

Most other software packages are just monitors and albeit they offer great depth, they will not help you to cool the system or prevent heat build up. I would rather save the CPU cycles for something I can really use, and truth be known six months down the line 90% wont give a jot about the system temp ;)