Is there a bluetooth iphone car kit that plays audio without leads?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cperchard, Nov 4, 2011.

1. cperchard macrumors 6502a

I know there is the parrott mki9200 which looks good, but it requires a lead to play my music through it i think, is there any around that doesnt? I don't really want an FM transmitter cos that loses a lot of quality.

2. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

I was thinking of getting a Belkin FM transmitter to play my iPod music in my car. But after reading the negative reviews about the static problems I decided just to upgrade the head unit. So now I'm playing it through an aux cable. The price difference wasn't too much.

Belkin FM Transmitter = $99 NZD
    Sony headunit = $150 NZD

3. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea but that requires a cable, lol.....i know about them i just wondered if there was such a thing that can play my music through bluetooth or some other means wirelessly without having to use an FM transmitter.

4. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

5. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

all head unit's i've seen require some sort of cable, either USB or AUX to play my music through so please help if you know any different

6. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Yup, Sony make decent ones.

7. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

please show me one that plays music from my iphone without a cable

8. steve-p, Nov 4, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2011

steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

This one might:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/23/new-potato-reveals-tunelink-auto-bluetooth-to-fm-transmitter-for/

It receives audio from the phone over bluetooth and then transmits it via FM to the car radio. I don't know if it's any good but I've been looking for something similar. There are a few others that also include hands free phone functionality e.g.

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/jabra-cruiser2-bluetooth-speakerphone-p26660.htm

The newer FM transmitters are a lot better than the early ones.

9. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

anyone know if the BlackBerry VisorMount Speakerphone VM-605 works with iphone? I know it's an FM transmitter but it has very good reviews....wondered if it would still be as good on an iphone, if it indeed works at all?

10. deeddawg macrumors 604

This doesn't make sense. If you don't want the bluetooth car kit to use an FM transmitter, and you don't want any wires, just how exactly were you thinking the music would get from the bluetooth car kit to the car stereo?

Only option that that fits "no wires" and "no FM transmitter" would be to just up and replace the car stereo with a new one that supports A2DP. Then you'd play music directly over bluetooth to the car stereo.

As to the VM-605 - it supports A2DP so should work, but you'll have to keep recharging it. See http://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/accessories/visormount/

Have you looked at this alternative: http://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Bluetooth-Hands-free-Transmitter-BlackBerry/dp/B000NVYVRO

11. davidra macrumors 6502

12. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I have the MKi9200 and while it does come with audio leads, you don't have to use them. I play all my music via Bluetooth with mine.

13. cperchard thread starter macrumors 6502a

oh really? hows the sound quality?? and do u need to have a snazzy stereo for that to work, (a2dp?) cos i only have a 2005 car lol

14. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Parrot has kits for a lot of factory stereos and definitely does not require A2DP or even aux input on your stereo. Mine is in a 2003 GMC Yukon with the factory GM stereo.

Sound quality is "OK", the kit that Parrot offers for that particular year of GM stereo uses a small external amp that doesn't have a lot of "guts" so bass is not great. May not be an issue for you, depending on what car you have - on a lot of cars the Parrot can actually tie into the factory amp and use that.

Go to http://www.quickharness.com and put in your make/model/year of vehicle and it will tell you exactly what you need. I bought the Parrot and the harness/interface on Amazon and saved a few bucks off the retail prices.

15. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

It sounds like you are looking to get good audio quality being able to use your factory stereo?

Out of curiosity, does that stereo offer the ability to use a CD Changer? Most do, some people don't realize.

I have a 2006 Honda Civic. I wanted both Sirius Radio and at the time, my iPod to be able to play on my stereo without an FM transmitter. I had a jack, the installer turned it into a toggle switch. He split off the CD Changer Aux in to 2 devices, and the toggle switched between the 2.

After a while the cable created a horrible sound quality, so last week I got a great setup that seems very universal, and I never had to switch to an aftermarket stereo.

Either way, go to bestbuy.com and navigate to their iPod and MP3 Player car connections section and you will see a number of solutions. Crutchfield is not bad either.

Good luck.

16. Stewie macrumors 6502

Stewie

17. colinwil macrumors regular

I've got a Sony MEX-3900U in my car. Works vey well. I leave my iphone 4in my pocket. The stereo plays music from it via bluetooth (no wires!), does phone calls, downloads contacts automatically etc. Not too expensive either - highly recommended.

18. Strawbis macrumors newbie

Dude...

most - if not all - bluetooth enabled car stereos will play your iPod\iPhone music over BT! plug in a mic and they'll do handsfree too.

Take your pick from hundreds of models.