Is there a chance that there will b a retIna display imac this year?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by auzzuro, Mar 25, 2012.

1. auzzuro macrumors regular

Guys i was thinking of getting imac with retina display this year. Do you guys think is there a chance we will be seeing a retina display imac this year.

2. simsaladimbamba

Chance yes, probability yes, but not a very big chance and probability, at least according to the dozens of other threads discussing the very same topic, but they may already be a day old.

3. auzzuro thread starter macrumors regular

4. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

I think we will see a Retina Macbook Pro. There is less chance of a retina iMac in the first wave of a Mac switchover because of the number of pixels it would involve. Pretty unclear at the moment on timescales.

5. leman macrumors G3

You should also ask for an integrated microwave and a dishwasher... Apple already offers you displays with highest PPI values among all the consumer products, but you still want more? You do realize what a retina display entails? Higher power consumption, higher stress on CPU/GPU, higher memory usage and absolutely no visibel benefit unless you sit 10cm away from your display. At normal viewing distance, pixels are already not distinguishable on the iMac display. Wo what do you need even more PPI more for? Or are you just after useless gimmicks?

6. Bear macrumors G3

We could see higher resolution on the iMac, but I'm not sure how much higher. Also, going to a much higher resolution would drive the price way up right now.

Also, what exactly counts as Retina for an iMac? I suspect that's highly variable as people do sit at different distances from their computers.

7. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Then don't plan on upgrading. Retina on a 21.5/27 (and possible 30") screen would be crazy expensive right now.

8. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

Does the OP actually understand what a retina display is? WHat on earth would a desktop need a display with pixels so small for? There is no way the new iMacs will feature a retina level display.

9. Hakone macrumors 6502a

The need for retina displays are for handhelds that you hold close to your face... so I thought.

10. admanimal macrumors 68040

Apple's definition of "retina display" is based on the normal viewing distance. This means that the iMac probably already has something very close to a retina display given that people tend to sit at least 20 or 30 inches from it. I sit a little more than arms length away from mine, and I can't see any pixels in this text even if I zoom Safari all the way in.

11. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

It is so that you cannot distinguish pixels at the normal viewing distance. On my iMac the text is not as crisp as on a Retina iOS device because I can see the anti-aliasing that tries to overcome the lack of pixel density. Crisp text rendering means less eyestrain. Something I would welcome.