Is there a chance the refurb Macbook Pro's at the Apple Store are new?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Charliebird, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

My wife needs a new laptop. All she does is surf the web and citrix into work. I think a 15.4 Macbook Pro with c2d proc would suit her well. Does Apple refurb store have the best deals? Might some of the machines be new?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Refurbished machines are not new anymore, but returned machines due to some hardware/software error in the machine, then repaired and put back into the circle of consumerism.

They are quite good deals, and many here and elsewhere swear on them, especially after the machines got a special treatment.

3. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

When someone buys a Mac and returns it within the 2 week period Apple cannot sell it again as new once opened. I'm sure many of the "refurbs" are these machines.

4. hellfire88 macrumors 6502

They won't be brand-spanking new straight from the factory but most likely a return from a customer who had buyer's remorse within their 14day return period. Of course, a 3rd possibility is that the unit had hardware issues but Apple inspects everything and includes the same 1yr warranty on it as a new one so no reason not to get a refurb IMHO in order to save some $$.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

They are all _as new_ and with full one year warranty. Most of the time, they are Macs that have been returned to Apple for whatever reason. With the new MacBook Pros released, all old models that haven't been sold will eventually turn up in the refurbished store. That usually takes a little bit.

On the other hand, when a built-to-order (more RAM, bigger hard drive) Mac is returned to Apple, Apple doesn't bother to sell it under its exact specification; it will be sold together with the "normal" models. So there is even a chance that you could get a better model than advertised.

6. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

Yes there is a chance right after a refresh. The computers that are new that apple didnt sell before the refresh are taken out of their retail box and placed in a refurb box and then sold as refurbished.

7. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

agree..best chance to get a real new one...unused by anyone...go for it.

8. ckuttner macrumors member

ckuttner

Once upon a time, I bought my Bondi Blue iMac as a refurb. It was in great condition, worked flawlessly...and came with a big music library from the transient former owner.
    I love my local independent Mac stores, but they really can't compete against Apple Store's refurbs.

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux