Is there a comfortable and not too expensive way to get from Washington DC to Toronto

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Spanky Deluxe, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

We're going to be heading to the states in mid June for a couple of weeks and are planning on splitting our time between NYC, Washington DC and (maybe) Toronto.

NYC to Washington shouldn't be too much of a problem since the trains don't look too expensive or long but it looks like Toronto won't be too feasible since there's no direct train line. Is the only option (short of expensive short haul flights) the megabus? If yes, is it ok? I've only ever had miserable experiences of coach rides in Europe (being 6'2" tall) but I've always heard US busses are far more roomy.

The idea would have been NYC->Washington DC->Toronto->NYC. If we were to get the megabus from DC to Toronto then it would only be about $30 or so for an overnight bus but I'd happily pay ~$100 for an overnight per person if it were comfortable enough to sleep on.

2. wordoflife, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2011

wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Did you already book your tickets?
    Where are you arriving in the US?

I would personally just go from North to South (Toronto, New York, Washington, New York).

Also, I wouldn't take a bus. I would just take the train (Amtrak), but it costs more. How long would the bus take?

*edit, just looked at the bus/train times. The bus is way faster

3. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah, already booked the flights. Flying to/from different airports would have cost a hell of a lot more alas.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

to where?

5. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

It's a nearly 16 hour trip...costs $144 one-way for coach seats. You take 3 separate trains (at least no buses are involved).

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah, I just checked. Its ~21 hours actually. The bus seems like a better choice.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I just checked Porter airlines, a fairly new "hopper" around here.

~$500 to and from Newark/Toronto Island airport.

This was for a return flight from N.Y. next Wednesday and return next Thursday.

Yikes. :eek:

9. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Yeah I can't find anything else. A coach service that's a bit more roomy would be ideal but I can't find anything. Is megabus really that bad? I'm quite surprised that no one else seems to have coach services from Washington DC to Toronto, what with it being the capital and all!

10. leenak macrumors 68020

Although airplane tickets are super costly right now, I'd look at taking the plane. It isn't unusual to get a RT $100-$150 ticket for DC/NY or even Toronto/DC.

I've had friends go on Megabus and really the only reason they like it is because it is cheap. I personally go on Amtrak when visiting NY.

11. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Are there any budget airlines to look at? I haven't seen any tickets even remotely close to $100-$150 return. :(

12. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ottawa is the capital, not Toronto.

;)

13. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Obviously. I meant Washington D.C.

;)

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And Toronto is the capitol of the province of Ontario. :p

15. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Flying porter (as ijh suggested) is an excellent experience, and the airport they fly out of in Toronto is located centrally. As far as a bus service goes, I've taken Greyhound to and from New York, overnight, and it was comfortable enough to sleep on.