Is there a deeper level of restore/reset than the iTunes Restore or Erase & Reset?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by truth1ness, Oct 30, 2014.

1. truth1ness macrumors regular

I just got a new iPhone and migrated from an old iPhone 4 which seems to have majorly screwed a lot of things up system wide and I want to do the fullest possible reset before driving to the iPhone store. I've tried an iTunes restore as new phone and Erase Settings & Reset from the iPhone settings but they have not solved the problem and they put my phone at iOS8.1, not the factory 8.0 it came with, which makes me think these aren't erasing everything. Is there a deeper level of reset that will completely wipe any low level corrupt files and dial me back to the original iOS 8.0 image that came with my iPhone out of the box?

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

DFU restore. You may need to download 8.0, but I'm not sure if Apple still signs 8.0.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Do a DFU Restore. Very much doubt 8.0.2 is still signed this many days since 8.1 dropped.

See http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1808

Then set up the phone as new.

If that doesn't work and you still have a flaky phone, swap it out.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You seem to be under the impression that 8.0 is somehow built into the phone and is its "right" software.

Once it's wiped it's got nothing. There's not a hidden surprise software buried in there. Something has to be written in there and at the moment this is 8.1.

Whatever problems you're having, they're not being caused by the fact that it's 8.1 instead of 8.0. Restore it to 8.1, start using it, and if you still have problems take it back to the Apple store and get an appointment because there's nothing more basic than that that you can do.

5. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

A restore never brings it back to the original os it was loaded with. What you have already attempted is the best you can do.

6. truth1ness thread starter macrumors regular

@smallwhitecar

So to rephrase my question, is there a "fuller/cleaner" way to restore to iOS8.1 than the basic iTunes Restore? Will going to DFU mode or Recovery mode prior to iTunes restore catch anything that would have otherwise been missed?

And just for my understanding, is there any reason to go with DFU mode over Recovery mode?

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Not as I understand it, but I'm gonna be honest and say that I don't have a lot of experience with DFU so you should wait for someone else to chime in with more experience.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

DFU mode is mostly useful when a normal restore or recovery mode isn't allowing you to restore. A standard iTunes restore will bring you back to "new."

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

The full restore through iTunes is the "best" you can do. It completely wipes your phone and installs a fresh version of 8.1. There's nothing to "catch" as nothing will be missed.

10. truth1ness thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I just tried a full DFU restore and no dice. I'm thinking this iphone is a dud. :( Time to go to the apple store. Thanks for the help.

11. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yeah, that's definitely time for a Genius appt.

12. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

What issues are you dealing with just so others will have an idea if we see something similar?

13. aggiesrwe03 macrumors regular

If you're using a Mac, you can re download the software from Apple (or any other various sites it's available) then do an option restore and select the newly downloaded .ISPW and install it.