Is there a difference between the Samsung LTN154BT02 and No-name B154PW04 LCD's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Revtop22, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Revtop22 macrumors newbie

I'm going to be getting a replacement screen for my MBP so I'm curious if there is a difference between the two screens. With both work on my MBP or should I swap whatever the original is only? Any benefits of one over the other?

2. Apple Genius macrumors member

what did you find out?

3. willpower101 macrumors regular

Bump:

Customer has an optronics B154PW04 v.0 that I'm wondering if I can replace with the LTN154BT02 or LTN154X7 , matte of course

4. l.a.rossmann, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2011

l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

Early LED Samsungs had a yellow tint. I don't know if this has changed, but since their prices are not exactly competitive, I stay away.

B154PW04 is not no name. They're from AU Optronics. They make amazing products. The B154PW04 V.0, and every other number excluding V.3, are compatible with the Macbook Pro. Recently they have been schooling LG Philips. I prefer the B133EW04 V.0 to both the LP133WX3 and LP133WX2(which, IMO, has no place in an expensive machine).

The LTN154X7 is CCFL backlit and lower resolution, so it will not work.

The AUO B154PW04 V.0 and B154PW04 V.6 looks better than the LG Philips LP154WP2(TL)(A*) series to me, ever so slightly. I see both as an upgrade over the Samsung. There are always shortages of this for some reason, so I take what I can get. Like now - the prices are ridiculous, and most suppliers with reasonable prices are selling poorly refurbished stuff. Don't buy from Ayeung Technology, they sell junk for these.

My theory is that models like the AUO B154PW04 V.3 and the LG Philips LP154WP2(TL)(C*) are the "standard" models, the ones with the wider connector, and that these were requested by Apple or maybe APple and one other company specifically for certain models where they wanted a narrow connector. Now that those machines are out of production, pricing is going to vary, and as supply goes down, you will find people trying to get as high as $245-$300 for one of these, with no guarantee of lack of spots or dead pixels.

The LTN154BT02 is a fine LCD.

Free market is fun, isn't it? :D

5. macbookproyes macrumors member

Well I have an A1226 macbook pro I bought in late 2007. My screen is having problems and I'm trying to replace it with the least expensive LCD model that I can find.

I'm seeing a number of different ones out there. The exact model that is in my laptop is the LP154WP2(TL)(A1).

I found an Ebay listing where someone is selling this other model (LTN154BT02) and saying it's a compatible alternative model that would also work.

Then, on this macRumors Forum here someone said that the LTN model had backlight problems and is not really compatible.

Go figure!

The LP154 model currently in my computer seems to go for at least $175 - $300+ or more and it's quite a bit more than other LCD models I'm seeing so if there are other models that are also compatible for less I'm hoping to get one of those.

Thanks for any advice you might have,
    Phil

6. willpower101 macrumors regular

the LP154WP2 tla1 in your laptop is a matte screen. also only the a3 and c1 are matte also. Be ware of sellers selling factory replacements. I've probably done 20 screen replacements since then and at least 1/5 sends me a high gloss instead of matte, or an incompatible replacement. Also some of the companies kind of have a language barrier so try to feel them out with an email first.

oh here's the link for that.

http://www.screentekinc.com/search-lcd-screen.shtml?lcds_product=LP154WP2&Submit.x=14&Submit.y=7

I'm not familiar with the different of the LTN154BT02.

So that said:

If I were gonna buy one, I'd double check that you have the lcd model, then use this search, and buy from the first result there.

http://desc.shop.ebay.com/Computers...=a1226+lcd&_mPrRngCbx=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m301

Trusted2global is a good company. (i've honestly probably bought an lcd from most major mac suppliers on ebay at one point in time.)

7. macbookproyes macrumors member

Wow, thanks so much for placing those links for me. I'm glad you told me that supplier on ebay is a good company as I have already emailed them asking which model they're selling. Their ad says it's compatible with A1226 but they don't actually show the model number of the LCD.

I've been doing a bit of research and I'll certainly make sure that whichever one I buy is absolutely compatible if for some reason I buy a model that is different than the LP154WP2(TL)(A1) that is currently in my laptop.

I sent an email to Trusted2global to see if the model they're advertising is my same current LCD model or confirm if it's compatible.

I have also sent an email Screen Tek asking which Model(s) would be compatible for my A1226 model. The results of the screen on their site doesn't say the exact model just that it's supposed to be compatible with the A1226.

I do have a glossy screen actually and I like it fine. It is very very rare for me to be outside and having to deal with the glare of the sun.

Thanks again for the advice,

Phil

PS: It is amazing once you start doing searching for LCDs to see the difference in prices. It'll all over the board from about $127 - $350 with most prices at about $250. If you look hard enough though I've found my exact model for about $134.

8. willpower101 macrumors regular

screentekinc is another good company i've purchased from before. Generally when they say they are going so send a compatible replacement it's almost always au optronics, which actually make very nice screens. However the gloss is the one most companies usually send unless they specifically say matte in the auction. So since you already have gloss, "compatible replacement" from most of these companies would be just fine.

Any of those big companies will also be able to fill a custom order for you also if you call. They stock most screens and have some sort of compatibility table there (I wish I could get my hands on it, lol)

Below is some interesting info in this auction description:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-FM041-LP15...ltDomain_0&hash=item2ea793ff35#ht_3795wt_1029

PLEASE READ THIS DESC. TO AVOID WRONG PURCHASE. This is lp154wp2(tl)(c1) Lp154wp2(tl)(c2) version for Dell Laptop. It is not all compatible with LP154wp2(tl)(a1) or Lp154wp2(tl)(a2) versions used for Apple macbook pro. This listing will not save you any money if you buy for Macbook PRO thinking it is cheaper deal more ever you will deal with time consuming return

PLEASE READ THIS DESC. TO AVOID WRONG PURCHASE. THIS LCD IS NOT COMPATIBLE TO LP154WP2(TL)(A1) , LP154WP2(TL)(A2), LP154WP2(TL)(A3),LP154WP2(TL)(A4).

9. macbookproyes macrumors member

Yeah thanks I figured the TLC2 series w/ this listing LP154WP2(TL)(C2) would be incompatible as it even shows it's 50 pins. My model is certainly 30 pin connector.

I heard back from Trusted2global. They said it should be compatible but didn't give me their actual model # to double check. This was their message:

Thank you for your message.

For purchasing a new screen for your laptop, the P/N is not very important.
    Please double check the specifications of your original screen and see if it is the same as following

Size: 15.4 inches LED
    Resolution: 1440*900 pixels
    Aspect ratio: WXGA Wide screen
    Screen Type: TFT Active Matrix Glossy
    Data connector: 30 pins
    Backlight Lamp: LED

Please feel free to buy if the specifications are the same. Thanks

I think I'm just going to end up buying this one which confirms it's the same Philips LG screen model that I have currently. Its reasonably priced compared to some of the other pricing I've seen:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330471088908&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Thank much for all your great advice you've given!

Cheers,
    Phil

10. macbookproyes macrumors member

Shoot, after checking out this ebay listing more carefully I come to see that this is a used screen with a defective line running down close to the left edge.

Now the least expensive one I've found is $169 plus shipping puts it up to $187!

Damm, it would seem that I should be able to find an LCD for $100 - $130 doesn't it? I mean, when it's getting up to $200 it's barely worth the value of the laptop itself.

11. macbookproyes macrumors member

12. macbookproyes macrumors member

As I mentioned in the previous post, it seems I've also seen a couple of sites listing the LP154WP2-TLA1 as having 30 pin as well as 40 pin in the specs descriptions.

I received my replacement LVDS cable today that I'm going to install tomorrow sometime and I'll have absolute confirmation on whether my model has a 30 pin or 40 pin connectors.

One seller told me that all of the other macbook pro LED models have 40 pin connectors, but we'll see.

Phil

13. macbookproyes macrumors member

Ok well, I just got the new LVDS cable swapped out tonight. Unfortunately the screen is still not working so now I can be certain it's the LCD after all.

I'm going to find one that I can absolutely confirm is my specific model# or one for sure that's compatible.

wish me luck,
    Phil

14. macbookproyes macrumors member

Well, I just was told by an ebay seller that this model N154C6-L02 is supposedly compatible.

A reputable seller who does installations in NY has that that he uses N154C6-L01 models and that they work just fine. Perhaps the 02 model will as well. It seems a lot cheaper than my particular model that's installed.

Phil

15. macbookproyes macrumors member

It's strange I'm looking at one of the ebay listing for this model and it shows on the top part of the listing Backlight = LED but then farther down the listing it shows the "Lamp backlight is " CCFL factory bulbs factory tested".

How can it be and LED screen if it also has CCFL bulbs? The listing seems to contradict itself:

http://cgi.ebay.com/CHI-MEI-N154C6-...218?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51938ce83a

16. macbookproyes macrumors member

Well, from what I understand from LA's post up above the LP154WP2(TL)(A1) model which I have in my computer is also compatible with

LP154WP2(TL)(A2), LP154WP2(TL)(A3),LP154WP2(TL)(A4)

It seems I've found a good priced LP154WP2(TL)(A4) to replace my malfunctioning LP154WP2(TL)(A1). Can anyone tell me what the differences are? I think from what I've gathered the TLA4 is just a newer version and perhaps a bit of an upgrade from the TLA1. Does that sound right?

I think I've finally found my replacement and I'll buy it as long as it's confirmed to work for my model which it somewhat seems to be.

Phil

17. macbookproyes macrumors member

So it seems from what I've been told that both of these models would be compatible:

N154C6-L02 and LP154WP2-TLA4

I've finally found a decent price on both of them. If I had my choice does anyone have a perspective on which would be the higher quality model? My guess is the LP154WP2-TLA4 model as it's actually a Philips LG which I gather is a higher quality. It's certainly closest to my original model.

18. macbookproyes macrumors member

Ok well I finally just purchased the LP154WP2-TLA4 off a seller on Ebay. I'm getting it for only $125 and he's assured me twice that it IS the genuine Philips LG model.

I'll post how it goes when I get it installed in a couple 3 days.

Cheers,
    Phil

19. macbookproyes macrumors member

Well, if anyone is reading this and has a 2007 macbook pro A1226 model, it might be helpful to know that the new LCD I bought to replace my old screen worked like a charm! As I mentioned above I ended up replacing the original LED LCD Philips LG model# LP154WP2-(TL)(A1) with LP154WP2-(TL)(A4).

I'm a happy camper now! It could have easily cost me $300-$400 if I had bought a more expensive screen and paid more for labor than need be. Apple was quoting me like $600 - $800 or something outrageous because they only replace the entire Clam Shell Display as opposed to just the LCD that was needed. They say this is because it's such a labor / time intensive job that they just prefer to replace that whole top of the laptop.

As it turns out I got the screen for $125 and since I did part of the work the local guy that helped me only charged $25 and I learned a lot about how to repair stuff myself in the future.

All the best everyone,
    Phil

20. Ardenuf macrumors newbie

Nice one Phil

Looks like you chose the right one as the ChiMei N154C6-L02 has its 'wide' edge on the left, whereas with the LG LP154WP2(TL)(A1) it's on the right.

So it wouldn't have lined up with your Mac's frame properly.

However the ChiMei is the one for my particular MBP A1226,
    going to try order it now, wish me luck!

Cheers

21. djvybz macrumors newbie

Hey guys! Does anyone have a listing of compatible non-oem LED screens for the MBP 15" A1226 and A1260 and/or the MBP 17" A1229 and A1261?

Also, I was under the impression the 15" and 17" MBP data connectors are 40 pin for the LED versions (non-unibody)? I was looking at one of the Chi Mei N154C6-L02 replacement and it says 40 pin?

Thanks!

22. jernej macrumors newbie

23. nicedada macrumors newbie

Can you tell me where you get your panel? I need one just like you. Have been looking around but it's not cheap. Thanks.

24. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

The N154C6 will not line up correctly with the bezel. Its small, but definitely noticeable.