Is there a double standard between pro gay and pro traditional marriage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Oct 12, 2015.

1. tshrimp, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015

tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I happened onto this web site, and it appears that there is a double standard when it comes to pro gay marriage businesses vs pro traditional marriage businesses.

http://shoebat.com/2014/12/12/chris...age-cake-denied-service-watch-shocking-video/

First video is long, but demonstrates this double standard.

Edit: There seems to be some confusion. The link above does not go directly to a video. It is an article that also contains a supporting video, so we don't have to take the authors word for it.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Could you summarize the argument? I don't want to watch a long video.

3. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

First video?

Sorry, I'm not watching anybody's video with no information as to what I'm watching and when I should be looking.

4. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Sure. The title is probably a good enough summary.

"Christian Man Asks Thirteen Gay Bakeries To Bake Him Pro-Traditional Marriage Cake, And Is Denied Service By All Of Them"

5. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

I made my original post more clear. Sorry for the confusion. This is an article that contains supporting videos, and does not go directly to the video. I should have been more clear.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

what exactly is a pro traditional marriage cake?

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

A cake not intended to get baked.

Mike

8. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Oh. Is this one of those morally backwards "my chosen bigotry should be treated the same as someone's biologically hardwired sexual orientation" type things? In that case, spare me the stupid.

9. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

It is in the link. But you are familiar with the term "pro traditional marriage"? It is marriage between one man and one woman.

10. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

In the 1960s a few Japanese soldiers hid in the Philippine jungles and continued fighting WWII because they couldn't deal with the fact they had lost the war.

You lost the culture war. Come out of the jungle.

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Well, that's simply not right. If what you said is true, then I wish him luck in his anti-discrimination lawsuit.

Baker's need to lay a little less attention to what is written in icing, and concentrate more on selling cakes.

That's just my advice.

12. steve knight, Oct 12, 2015

steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I heave heard that but since there is no such thing if you have every read the bible or looked at the history of marriage.
    the whole gay agenda gives this webpage away. I bet the videos are about as accurate as the last crop of abortion videos. the Polygamy Is Wrong so gay marriage should be wrong is so full of holes then bestiality? this post should be recycled because it stinks of rot.
    plus this was gay baiting so I doubt they were fooling anyone.
    remember what traditional marriage was is a man and a women in an arranged marriage to make heirs and alliances. so I doubt any christian in the US is practicing traditional marriage.

13. cwosigns macrumors 65816

Your signature precludes me from taking anything you post seriously.

But for ***** and giggles...consider this:

Two men or two women asking for a wedding cake is just two people asking for a wedding cake.

This dude is asking for a cake that endorses and supports discrimination (since marriage equality is the law of the land).

It's apples and oranges.

14. dec. Suspended

dec.

The "Christian" asked to have "'Gay' marriage is wrong" written on the cake - that's still a step beyond "Pro-'Traditional' Marriage", but that's debatable, no question. The next logical step would be to go to a "Christian" bakery and demand a "'God' is dead" cake and sue the crap out of them if they don't comply - of course no "Christian" bakery would deny that, rrrrright :D . And wait, those "Christians" aren't sueing, most likely because they are "better people" (.....or maybe they just do not have a case..).

But the major point is: I can understand that "Christians" attempt to simplify the issue, it appears to be a part of that "we're being persecuted"-complex but ultimately there's a big difference between denying customers simply based on their sexual orientation and denying an order based on the content itself. The "Christian" was NOT being refused because of "god".

Doesn't really matter anyway, it's done. Next year my husband and I are traditionally celebrating our 9th wedding anniversary.

There's a slight chance that I will be making a cake, like I just did this weekend for our Canadian Thanksgiving (it's a pumpkin cheesecake and yes, I know that it was a stupid idea to use fondant for the decoration, the moisture of the cheesecake wrecks it, but it only had to look nice for a short time*).

[​IMG]
    (*I have no problem with baking a "'God' is dead" cake, if anyone is interested.. lol)

15. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

The video is of a guy calling bakers to have a cake made, and he is denied service.

So you are commenting without watching or reading? On the second part about traditional marriage... I think we all know what that means. It is a common expression to mean between one man and one woman.

16. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

I've heard of marriage equality. But there's certainly nothing "traditional" about monogamous consensual union of a non-biologically related man and woman over the age of 18. Marriages between partners of the same and opposite sex are identical in the eyes of the law and more importantly are identical to the people who participate in them. As someone already said, you lost, time to let go. You won't be winning anyone over to your side from this point forward, not in this forum, and not in this country.

17. tshrimp, Oct 12, 2015

tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Yep. Similar thing. It shows the person calling and asking for a cake for a pro traditional marriage celebration and wants the words to say "Gay marriage is Wrong". They refuse because they do not like or agree with what is being asked to be written on the cake. This is very similar to the pro gay marriage people who are sueing when asking pro traditional marriage and Christian businesses to put things on cakes they also do not agree with.

18. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Are you hoping for the traditional pottery or willow for your gifts, and the modern take on the 9th is leather. Now that brings a multitude of options.

Any way I wish you both all the best for a long and happy life.

KGB:cool:

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    I have to comment on this.

Here is Dec, a known Canadian, showing off pictures of a cake decked out in traditional American Thanksgiving garb and designs. This cake, mind you all, has presumably been baked in Canada.

Cultural appropriation is not cool, man. It's never cool. :mad:

Also happy marriage anniversary day!

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's interesting how you worded it. I would have said the customer requested an "anti-gay marriage" cake, not a traditional marriage cake.

A traditional marriage cake would just say "Congratulations" or something along those lines.

21. dec., Oct 12, 2015

dec. Suspended

dec.

[sidenote]eventually the term "traditional marriage", as you use it right now will (need to) be replaced with the term "'Christian' marriage", which is also more accurate (since marriage is NOT a "Christian" institution in first place, so having some of you people claim it as "traditional" will appear to be VERY outdated) as the definition of "marriage" has been evolving[/sidenote]

Ok, I might have misunderstood or did not think it through, I admit. I assumed that you were talking about the cases where bakeries declined the participation in "same-sex marriages" in general as in "Our 'god' does not allow us to supply a cake, no matter what message is on it" as opposed to creating a product that does not conform to their "religious ideology".

Of course it's the same if a same-sex couple demands "same-sex marriage is equal to straight marriage" (although in that case the - fictional - "Christian" bakery would become a joke since it is a fact).

22. dec. Suspended

dec.

That summarizes the whole thing pretty well. Thanks.

23. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

This was of the most pathetic attempt to try to justify your point it really makes them look foolish. Lets go and try to offend a gay Baker to prove they hate Christians.

24. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Saying "Gay Marriage Is Wrong" isn't the same thing as celebrating a traditional marriage. You can celebrate something without openly deriding someone else. It's the derision itself that makes this a little more questionable than just going in and wanting a cake for your wedding.

Let's do a quick subject swap to illustrate my point. Let's say there's a bakery somewhere that mostly caters predominately to a black clientele. They make excellent cakes, and they start garnering attention beyond the little community they started out in. A white couple comes in, asks for a cake, and the owner says they usually don't keep the little wedding figures for white people, so they can't make it. They turn them down.

That's discrimination. Not directly. Not hatefully. But it's still discrimination. They're a business, and they have to serve the public. If they have to special order those figures, so be it.

Now let's say a couple comes in, and they want a cake from this same company. They say "I want this, this, and the message on the bottom should say 'All the negro should go back to Africa' in big red letters", cuz, you know, it's a Klan wedding.

The only thing that's going to get them is a well deserved punch in the face. Who in the hell puts that on a wedding cake? Who the hell would go into a business staffed and owned by black people and ask for that? Probably someone who wants to make a stupid ******* point.

This is about the same thing. A guy goes into a bakery he knows is owned by a gay person, and asks them to put a message that isn't normally put on wedding cake that directly insults them. If they refuse it, that's not discrimination, mostly because the client is baiting them.

Now if the customer didn't know the bakery wasn't owned by a gay person, that might make for a slightly different story, since you have to have to have that assumption of malice in place to make it nondiscriminatory to turn them down. But still, the message itself is hateful. A wedding cake with two men or two women figures on top isn't.

25. APlotdevice, Oct 12, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

You mean those marriages that were in no way affected by the legalization of gay marriage?