Is there a double standard between pro gay and pro traditional marriage?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by tshrimp, Oct 12, 2015.

1. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Really? Tell that to Barronelle Stutzman, Aaron and Melissa Klein, or Jack Phillips.

2. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Say that your title is correct. Do you think the "poor oppressed Christians" should be able to get a cake with what you state on it, or do you say no?

3. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Oh...consequences for discrimination isn't the gays' fault.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Disagree - both of them are political statements.

5. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Again, you're conflating a person and a ceremony. If nothing else, you're consistent. :cool:

6. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

No. Interracial marriage was argued against using bible verses.

7. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

no they chose to be stupid and involve their opinions and spout them. if they just said no I did not wish to do it they would have been fine legally. but they chose to throw their faith in the gay peoples faces and suffered the legal response to that poor choice.

8. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I would. I would tell them that gay marriage affects them in no way. Denying services to gay people does affect them.
    I'd ask you to show me one straight person whose marriage was hurt by two gay guys getting matter but that's impossible.
    I say that its possible that statements like that could be ruled as hate speech, but that's probably a stretch. I think someone who needs a cake like that has serious problems.

They are both political statements. I just pointed out that the statement is misquoted. Its not pro tradition marriage, its anti gay marriage. There is a difference.

9. samiwas macrumors 68000

Does the person who sells me a steak participate in my BBQ?
    Does the person who sells me a shirt participate in my business?
    Does the person who sells me sheets participate in my sex life?
    Does the person who sells me shampoo participate in my shower?

10. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

Stop making sense. I don't know which is more disgusting to me: the religious person who knows its BS to deny services to gays but uses his religion as an excuse for his bigotry or the religious person who really, really thinks that they are sinning in some way if they sign a marriage certificate for a gay couple.

11. samiwas macrumors 68000

Ummm...that wasn't the gay marriage affecting them. That was their own choices affecting them. Gay marriage being legal does not in any way affect the marriages of straight people or the lives of any one besides the people getting married. Just in the way that people believing in God does not actually affect my life in any way UNLESS they use that belief to craft laws or discriminate.

12. samiwas macrumors 68000

I see you skipped my earlier post which dealt directly with this question.

13. mac8867 macrumors 6502

The biggest thing I always notice in these types of discussions is how people (on any side of this issue) always mis-understand the law. Everyone in the United States, whether citizen or not, has the inherent right to be a bigot. This goes right into the small business owners shop - they have every right to deny you service, for any reason. No law protects the consumer from being turned away from a purchase in the free market.

The law DOES protect people with respect to employment. So, unless the patron was also an employee...

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

...as an example of how the collective SCOTUS utterly failed.

15. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

That's not true.

"So, no matter where you live, you cannot deny service to someone because of his or her race, color, religion, national origin or disability. In some states and cities, you also cannot discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation. If there is no state, federal or local law prohibiting discrimination in public accommodations against a particular group of people, then you can legally refuse to serve that group of people."

https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/...fuse-service-to-someone-because-of-appearance

16. steve knight macrumors 68030

steve knight

Why hav the gay haters not learned to just be quiet and refuse service? then they can chaise whoever they want out. what they really want is to chase them out but never have to suffer for those choices

17. Mac'nCheese Suspended

Mac'nCheese

I think some of them want to "suffer". They love playing the victim and some of them have started gofundme campaigns and made a ton of money from people who think like they do. They love the attention and get to be all christ-like, suffering for their god.

18. samiwas macrumors 68000

So what about for non-religious beliefs? I'm not religious. Do I not get to discriminate against Christians if I want to (I don't). Or is it only "deeply-held" religious beliefs that get this benefit? How long does one have to hold a belief to qualify as "deeply-held"? Can literally anything be "deeply-held"?

If you don't want it to be punished by law, that's one thing. They should absolutely be torn to shreds in media and the public opinion, however. You have a right to your belief, but you do not have a right to exercise that right freely with no consequences.

19. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

A link would be great on this. Thanks cwosigns.

20. tshrimp thread starter macrumors 6502

tshrimp

21. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Prior to Loving vs. Virginia, the SCOTUS decision that declared states' bans on interracial marriage unconstitutional, the trial judge in the original case, Leon M. Bazile, echoing Johann Friedrich Blumenbach's 18th-century interpretation of race, wrote:

"Almighty God created the races white, black, yellow, malay and red, and he placed them on separate continents. And but for the interference with his arrangement there would be no cause for such marriages. The fact that he separated the races shows that he did not intend for the races to mix."

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Nothing in the bible about gay marriage either.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I would tell them the gay marriage apparently affects them enough, that they act like jerks.

But then I'd tell them they just need to get over it ... that it's all inside their head ... and that is their problem.

To a degree you're correct. You can deny service on an individual basis. But you cannot deny service to a protected class (race, age, sex, religion, sexual preference) simply because someone belongs in that protected class. That is discrimination.

24. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Unfortunately sexual orientation is not yet a protected class in a little over half of the states. Thankfully, it is in my state. That's the next goal of the "gay agenda" :D