Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dee Ann

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Hi,

I have a 3GS that some doofus upgraded to 3.1.3 before he sold it to me.

The only way I was able to get it to work was to run the spirit program on it.

But, it can NOT do MMS and that really chaps my hide! :mad:

How can I fix that?? Please tell me there is a fix for this???

I do NOT want to downgrade to 4.x, period. I see too much BAD stuff said about 4.x and I do not want it. Not for a long time. I am waiting until ios4 is fixed and is known to be safe to use. I don't trust it, period.

So I need to have 3.1.3 working properly with MMS.
Right now it's acting exactly like my old 1st gen iPhone was. :(

Thanks..

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
If your on a carrier that supports MMS (like AT&T) try making sure the MMS option is turned on in the Messages part of the Settings app. If you restored from a backup of your old 2G and don't see the MMS switch in Settings. You'll have to restore to 3.1.3 again and this time set it up as a new iPhone.

Dee Ann

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
If your on a carrier that supports MMS (like AT&T) try making sure the MMS option is turned on in the Messages part of the Settings app. If you restored from a backup of your old 2G and don't see the MMS switch in Settings. You'll have to restore to 3.1.3 again and this time set it up as a new iPhone.

Oh duh!

I found the switch to turn MMS on but every time I try to send one it says "send failed" :(

I can put the sim back in my old Nokia and send photos and videos and music to friends all day long. The iPhone refuses to do it. WTF???

I do have MMS ability on my cell account, I pay for it and it works with my Nokia.

Oh and I do NOT have a wireless data plan. I only do wifi at home. Once I leave the house I have no internet.
Could it be trying to do it over 3g?

Dee Ann

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Perhaps you should have purchased a 3GS on 3.1.2 or one with 3.1.2 hashes saved ?? :rolleyes:

I bought what I bought.

On ebay the guy said it was totally unlocked and jailbroken to work with any carrier.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
Oh and I do NOT have a wireless data plan. I only do wifi at home. Once I leave the house I have no internet.
Could it be trying to do it over 3g?
The iPhone sends MMS messages over a data connection.
This may be why you're messages are failing.

Dee Ann

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
Are u using it on offical carrier or unlocked and jb?
What company?

I used to be a Centennial Wireless customer but AT&T (SUCKS) bought out Centennial and shut down all the towers so we would get ******* reception.

I have an OLD Centennial SIM in my iPhone but I'm actually now an AT&T customer, against my wishes.

So because of the Centennial SIM I have to do it as if it's unlocked for an alien carrier even though it is AT&T now.

I have an awesome calling plan, 200 mins a month outgoing and UNLIMITED 24/7/365 incoming calls. As long as someone calls me I can stay on the phone non stop as much as I want.

I do NOT want to lose that plan which I surely will if I go to them to get a new AT&T sim. I also do NOT want them to know I have an iPhone because I do NOT want a data plan. I don't need internet away from home. Away from home I need a cell phone. I am not going to pay for a data plan I won't and can't use anyway. Besides, the only place it works is in a car. I can't use the internet when I'm driving. I can't get a signal inside buildings or stores or houses because there is ONE AT&T tower for the entire area and it's WEAK. I can barely get a cell phone signal in my house and I can not at all get a signal inside a store. If I can't get cell phone I can't get internet.

So no way on a data plan, that's a rip off that I do not need or want.
So it's to my advantage to leave things as they are and let AT&T think I'm still using that old Nokia I bought from Centennial waaaay back when..

When I am in my house I have wifi and that's all the internet I need on my iPhone.

That may not make any sense to most people but it's what works for me.

Dee Ann

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2009
The iPhone sends MMS messages over a data connection.
This may be why you're messages are failing.

So I have to have friggin stupid 3G data plan?

That's BS.

Why can my Nokia that's like 6 years old send pictures, videos and music over MMS? It sure as heck doesn't have 3G, there was no such thing when that phone was made.

I can put my SIM in that phone right now and send/receive stuff all day long.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I do NOT want to lose that plan which I surely will if I go to them to get a new AT&T sim. I also do NOT want them to know I have an iPhone because I do NOT want a data plan.
AT&T knows. ;)
The minute your phone connected to an AT&T cell tower, they knew exactly what type of phone you had.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
So I have to have friggin stupid 3G data plan?

That's BS.

Why can my Nokia that's like 6 years old send pictures, videos and music over MMS? It sure as heck doesn't have 3G, there was no such thing when that phone was made.

I can put my SIM in that phone right now and send/receive stuff all day long.
As I stated... the iPhone uses data to send MMS messages.
Your Nokia may be configured differently. No idea what model you have, but older phones didn't require a data plan to send MMS messages.
They went through a specific APN that allowed the message to go through.

See if you can get those settings and then enter them into your iPhone.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
As I stated... the iPhone uses data to send MMS messages.
Your Nokia may be configured differently. No idea what model you have, but older phones didn't require a data plan to send MMS messages.
They went through a specific APN that allowed the message to go through.

See if you can get those settings and then enter them into your iPhone.

Exactly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.