Is there a fix for the speaker rattle in Unibody MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kurenaiz, Mar 1, 2009.

1. kurenaiz macrumors member

As far as I know, this issue has been around since the introduction of the new MBP. Has it been successfully dealt with? Or do we just have to live with it?

I just want my machine to be perfect, worth its price that is.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Are you speaking about the 17" or 15"?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

exactly what i was just thinking...

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

This seems to be an issue on the 15''. From what I understand, this is a design issue. The speakers will make a rattling sound on particularly low quality sounds or compressed audio files. You shouldn't get rattling/vibrating on high quality sound such as 320k mp3's, audio cd's, audio from commercial dvd's etc. unless you turn the volume way up. The speakers tend to rattle when the volume is past 50%. I've tried this out on 6 different mbp's, and they all did this to a certain extent. Most people aren't as sensitive to it. So right after I post you'll see people saying that their macbook pro is the most amazing thing ever, that it's quieter than a vacuum sealed chamber, and that the speakers sound like a symphony in their living room. I'm sure some people have very minimal vibration, but because the crossover on the right side speaker/subwoofer combo seems to be set so high, the right speaker tends to vibrate and not sufficiently reproduce particular frequencies. You can also tell that apple could give a sh*t about sound reproduction because the speakers are not lined up on the left and right. Most people hear the sound as coming out strong on the right side because for some reason the subwoofer can be localized on these machines (normally you can't localize low frequency sound as easily). So poorly designed speakers + poor alignment=problemos.

6. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

If you have your volume up all the way while you're listening to something, you'll most likely hear it. It doesn't bother me though since I rarely have my sound up that high.

7. otis123 macrumors 6502a

unfortunately since every single one rattles, its a design issue. i wonder if it could be fixed with a firmware update, but i doubt it.

8. PeterKG macrumors 6502

Mine has no rattle. How did you determine every single one rattles?

9. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Turn your volume up all the way and listen to some music. How do things sound?

10. OpenThirdeye macrumors member

How about you just don't turn your speakers up all the way? Get a set of 2.1 speakers and hook them up if you want to blast some music.

11. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

12. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

thats what i seen and that could be it. Most likely is. Or something like that aluminum casing is rattling against something that is making the vibration, "sub"

13. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

How about I already have some? But I'm sure that's a very logical solution for everyone else who has a unibody MBP.

14. ThirteenXIII macrumors 6502a

im not sure if this is the same issue as mine...but with a 2.4Ghz uMBP i just started noticing the right speaker rattles/sounds flakey upon boot during the start up chime..it sounds very crackly and cackled...i tried some music in itunes at half volume, 3/4 volume and 100% volume but could repeat it as far as i could tell...

also sounds like the start up chime is alot more suppressed, the volume i turned up all the way before doing a restart.

i tried using mactracker and testing the start up chimes there and they all play with no cackle, crackle or rattle...so im not sure if its determining factor if the speakers/speaker are wearing thin or they cant handle certain volumes at start up?