Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hi, old family member is using iPad to watch various long drama series. Very often there are annoying ads showing up on the screen. I need to help them to manually skip those ads. It means lots of work for me. Is there a good way to block them?

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
In your browser, go to Extensions, go to the place to download new ones and search for adblock or ublock origins, which is a good, popular one. Just install it in your browser and you're done.

Reactions: imac8007

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
In your browser, go to Extensions, go to the place to download new ones and search for adblock or ublock origins, which is a good, popular one. Just install it in your browser and you're done.

Thanks. Usually I just use the YouTube app. I am at Safari on iPad now. Where can I go to Extensions?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Thanks. Usually I just use the YouTube app. I am at Safari on iPad now. Where can I go to Extensions?

Those instructions are for the Desktop browser. iOS safari doesn't have extensions. You need a content blocker instead.

Wrong platform. This is iOS.

Last edited:

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I tried Norton Ad Blocker from the app store and it seemed to block YouTube ads in Safari. You won’t be able to block ads if you’re watching in the actual YouTube app

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
Paying Google $13 a month for content that is free... I guess if you have money burning a hole in your pocket sure.
That’s expensive ? I’m only paying $5 for Family. YouTube is not free though. Content creators spends on their contents, and YouTube is paying them for their contents. In order to pay them, Ads need to be put on their videos. No pay, means no money to spend on quality content.

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
alt store and download cercube youtube app ipa, that is how I got rid of ads for iphone, last year when I used androids I have vanced app which was a modified youtube app. the ads are really awful. What I do is when I get notifications for channels I like to watch I click the notification of the regular youtube app so they get some kind of money unless for no reason they make their videos have like 6 ads for 12 minute video.

So the alt store sort of makes your phone think its a developer checking their apps and well it gives you 7 days to use your app all you do is connect your phone to the pc activate alt store and on your phone just refresh your apps to get 7 days again. worth it coming from android

Reactions: 0924487

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
That’s expensive ? I’m only paying $5 for Family. YouTube is not free though. Content creators spends on their contents, and YouTube is paying them for their contents. In order to pay them, Ads need to be put on their videos. No pay, means no money to spend on quality content.
Out of that $5 I bet they get five cents and Google $4.95 ?

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
That's why there's Patron

No, that's why there's advertising on YouTube. The overwhelming vast majority of users do not like spending cash. Watching adverts, whilst annoying, is free to the user.

If you want to skip the adverts, then there's the paid option.

Patreon is a supplemental model that content creators can use to enhance their revenue.

uniquexoxo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2018
South East Asia
That's why there's Patron
Only a very small percentage of world’s population knows Patreon. I’m pretty sure only 1 out 100 in my country knows it. It’s not as popular and as in demand as YouTube as platform.

Out of that $5 I bet they get five cents and Google $4.95 ?
Do you even know how much content creators earn? Let’s just say, actors and actress are jumping into the YT bandwagon.

No, that's why there's advertising on YouTube. The overwhelming vast majority of users do not like spending cash. Watching adverts, whilst annoying, is free to the user.

Patreon is a supplemental model that content creators can use to enhance their revenue.
This. lol the op is really pressed for having to pay for YouTube either by premium or watching ads ??

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA

Thanks but I'd rather use an ad blocker. If I want to support my favorite creator I'll use Patron. Feel free to watch ads though

Reactions: 1193001

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
Issue I have with some of the questions are being answered with bias. He asked for a way to disable ads on youtube here is a list of options you can do.

Use a browser like Brave will be able to block not just youtube but all ads on all websites too.

Outside of Jail Breaking another thing you can also do is download and install a tweaked version of youtube app like YouTube++, Cercube which can be installed using Alt Store APP which makes the IOS think you are a developer of the app and all you need to do every 7 days is connect to the pc and just refresh for another 7 days. You can also use app like Cercube which allows downloads plus direct download to Files App too. Plus the benefit of playing in the background which I like doing when I listen to long conversations while driving or about to sleep.

Last option is paying for Youtube Premium which gives you no ads and download option; but it does cost, while not so much it does cost.

When I was on android I had both youtube official apk and vanced tube apk installed so If I like or watch the videos I am subscribed to they get money because I am willing to watch their ads; But If I am going to watch random videos or suggestions or once in a million something from trending then I will use vanced tube.

So morally the first two can be questioned but what answers your question is for you to watch youtube without ads.

Honestly with my Bias It doesn't bother me having adblock on all the time. If I like a channel or website enough I will turn of adblock; but now even youtube is getting scam ads on their own site; While adblock will hurt the content creator it will also hurt youtube and force them to either do better checks on their ads policy or face more people adblocking them. Content Creators are already bypassing youtube ads by getting sponsored by gaming sites or product placements which I am perfectly fine no matter how cringe worthy the ad in their video is. It also seems to make them a lot more money than youtube ads at this time. One thing I am liking is what Brave Browser is doing where you can choose to view a add for BAT currency then you can choose to donate BAT to your favorite channels in which they can exchange BAT for money or other type of digital currency of their choice.

We are now heading to a time where ads at least for this type of content will be more integrated onto videos, hopefully more quality personal ads which give the creator more money. Youtube will not be here forever there will always be something newer in the future maybe not soon; but it will happen.

TL/DR

People use Adblock, while it is morally questionable, it has its goods and bads, its goods since lately ads on youtube for example have lately been scam ads which may force youtube to do better in their ad policy in the future.

AD BLOCK ACTIVATE

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.