is There a Hazard of Using a Keyboard Cover for rMBP ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by augustya, Feb 7, 2014.

1. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

I was reading this information on a Credible website That if you use a Keyboard cover like the one's that Moshi sells "Clearguard"on your Retina Macbook Keyboard it actually blocks the heat coming out from just around the corners of the keys and there by will make your Retina Macbook more warmer. Also it said that, if you are using this keyboard especially on a 13” Inch rMBP it will also reduce the sound output as a lot of sound comes just beneath from where the keyboard on the rMBP is ! is this True ? is this Correct ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think there is truth to it, get an app that reports the heat like iStat menus and you can monitor the heat.

AFAIK, apple does not recommend keyboard covers on rMBPs given the tight tolerances, that is, there's not much room between the display and the keyboard when closing the laptop.

3. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Already have iStat Running on the rMBP,

iStat Reading's are not that staggering or scaring in terms of Temperature getting up. With or Without not a noticeable difference...

4. Hexley macrumors 6502a

As a person who had the misfortune of wetting his notebook's keyboard because it was dirty I heartily recommend a keyboard cover to keep things clean.

It cost me $400 to replace my keyboard that had 6 unfunctioning keys because I went overboard cleaning the keyboard.

When closing the notebook I'd just remove cover.

5. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

I have been using the keyboard protector since last 2 days and no it does cause any damage to the screen, has not left any marks or smudges or scratches...Looks clean as of Now !

6. mneblett macrumors 6502

Slight variation, as I understand it: at least up to Apple including side vent ports in the MBP lower case half, the MBP's cooling air intake was through the gaps around the keys, so yes, a keyboard cover can be an issue.

7. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Ok even let's say if it did block the heat coming from around the keys, besides making the macbook warm can it have any potential danger to any other thing like for e.g any component failure or something because of the heat not being vented out ? but I guess there are separate ventilating ducts for that so what the issue then ?

8. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

I use a keyboard cover on my rMBP and I don't notice it heating up at all because of it. My laptop is running cool and just fine. The only time it heats up is if I use intensive programs or watch videos or something, but never because of the keyboard cover. I cannot use it without it because I'm afraid of spills and crumbs getting into the keyboard. I feel at peace knowing that it's protecting my computer from harm.

9. augustya thread starter macrumors 68000

augustya

Yep same here, the temperature is just fine almost the same with or without the keyboard cover however typing goes for a toss ! No fun as it is on the bare keyboard !