Is there a help line I can ring to prevent me from buying Apple products?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Macmamamac, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Macmamamac, Dec 5, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2015

Macmamamac macrumors regular

I need help, i am on the verge of wasting lots of money on products i don't need.

I seriously want to buy a maxed out iPad Pro with pencil and smart keyboard and Apple Watches for me and the family.

The Apple Watch impulse is what has got me worried. I have never even considered buying this thing but now i have an uncontrollable urge to order several.

Help me.....

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Especially this time of year, there should definitely be a shopaholics help line.

3. Gutwrench Suspended

Gutwrench

4. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Just call tech support... They've always been able to cure my desire to buy anything else :mad:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah its tough, though for me, I succumbed to my illness and purchased a 5k iMac :eek:

6. Huntn, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ô
    This is very simple. Put down your wallet and/or your iPhone (Apple Pay). Only listen to the soothing tone of my typed words. Your current iPad is adequate until it breaks. If the watch was $50 sure, but tell me if I'm wrong, the watches while adding come convienence, have no functionality that your iPhone does not all ready possess, and they are hardly worth the iPad Mini price. A vanity item you don't need.

So your position at MRs is symptomatic of this illness? ;) They sell a $5k iMac of when you were done the price of the total merchandise was 5k? :eek:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Indeed :D

While there are certainly things I don't like what Apple has done, or its direction and I certainly think the 4k iMac has a number of corners cut on the design. I find myself giving Apple all of my hard earned money.

The 5k iMac is a downright gorgeous machine, its fast and the screen is expansive. Its everything I really wanted. Luckily, I chose the stock M395 flavor and so while its pricey, I didn't go completely overboard.

The only major purchase that is left is an iPad Pro :eek: If I did that, my wife would definitely throw me out of the house,

8. Huntn, Dec 6, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I have a Mac laptop and a PC gaming box. If you made me get rid of my Mac, don't know what I would do, probably wave my arms while running frantically in a circle until I careened into a wall, but I'm having a hard time justiying just $2500 on a new MBP.. o_O

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

In all honesty, that was the biggest impediment to getting the iMac for me. I justified it, because a 5k display from Dell is 2k, and that's just the monitor. I'm also expecting (hoping) to get several years of usage out of this as well

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

That shouldn't be an issue. Mac's tend to last quite a long time. Heck, I used a 2006 MBP for 6 years before giving to some friends who used it for about 3 more years until they bought an iMac of their own.

I'm still using my 2012 cMBP right now, and recently gave my 2010 iMac to my parents which still works great.

I think your new iMac is quite future-proof.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My current MBP after a hard drive and motherboard replacement (on Apple's dime- another reason to love them) is still going strong at 4.5 years, although it's getting long in the tooth for gaming. Several of the latest games don't run adequately on it via Bootcamp.

12. ProjectManager101 Suspended

ProjectManager101

If you could see into my head you would never touch an Apple product again. Is not that they are bad, the product is not the problem, the problem is you. SPECIALLY having Facebook tracking all your navigation all over the internet just to fill your profile with products and chats and groups related to your searches for you to end up buying things you do not need.

I have a 15" MBP and I wish it was my only computer. I actually do not need anything else I have. The iPad is collecting dust, the iPhone 5 still there up and running. And I have some other powerbooks collecting dust as well.

For some reason there is history in them, is hard to detach but I am not getting any other Apple product, I rather have money in the bank.

13. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Look at the bright side. The Apple products have a high resell value so you will not lose too much money :).

14. Tech198, Dec 11, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2015

Tech198 macrumors G4

"I'm addicted.... Help me. I keep running out of money, and dunno why"

Why not ? u can get addicted to everything else.

Those in the tech industry are a lost. They buy just about everything that comes out.

This is kind of like temptation for chocolate.... if u like it, u'll get it, whatever the cost.. some, like me, er.. not so much...

I can't remeber the last time i bought tech...

Now after this i will be upgrading all my gadgets :D

15. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Just hide it somewhere... err... ;)

It can always be upgraded when the time comes! ;)

Last time I had an uncontrollable urge to buy an Apple product was when my fiance was buying himself an iPad Air 2 and I saw the iPad Minis (2 and 3 I think?) and I WANTED ONE SO MUCH. Luckily I had no money to buy one, because I had the iPad 3 and I NEVER used it. I sold it. But those Minis were calling my name in perfect unison. It was so hard to get out of that Apple Store empty-handed :p

The main reason why I don't have the rMB was the keyboard. I luckily tried it first before deciding what to buy. Saved me 500 euro. But it did call me with that siren voice too ;) "cooome tooo meeeeee... ooopen your waaallleeeet..."

16. coevolve macrumors newbie

I know what you mean. Since I became hooked after being anti-Apple for years it is scary how much I want to buy their products. To avoid spending all my money, I assume I do not need the item and continue research on item to make sure I really need the thing. I try to buy used items (when possible) to save money. I also try to get an item I can use for many years without feeling the upgrade desires (surely a disease akin to audiophile upgrade disease). The Apple Watch is causing me great distress trying to avoid buying the darn thing. I stopped wearing watches when smart phones became available (which made me happy). I have been able to keep myself from buying an Apple Watch so far. It is hard to avoid being a greedy capitalist pig: purchasing like some animal in a cage or sick fanatic.

I try to tell myself the following: Do I really need the thing? If not, then save my money or buy someone a gift. This seems to work 25 percent of the time as I am terrible money waster. If Apple continues with the watch thing, I may jump on the bandwagon. Although I think an augmented reality lens attachment (which is unobtrusive / not noticeable to others) to my eyeglasses would be better than a watch (e.g.. turn by turn directions whilst cycling or walking through an unknown town or city).

17. AutoUnion39, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2015

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Freeze your cards :)

Ugh, don't even get me started.

I really want an iMac

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go for it, you know you really want too :D

I will say that I really love my iMac, its the best Mac to date. I've long said my 2012 rMBP was/is the best laptop I bought, but the beset overall mac is now the 5k iMac

19. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

yes.. it is called "a common sense".

20. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Hey... We'll have none of that here!!! :p

No using those kinds of words :D

21. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I need some help too.

I've bought this year a iPhone 6+, iPhone 6S+, 15" 2015 MBP 16GB 512GB, 2012 13" MBP. I am kind of thinking of buying an iPhone 6S just because. Maybe we can all form a support group.

22. Meister Suspended

Meister

Paypal me all your money and you won't have to worry about buying too many apple products.

23. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You can call me and I'll tell you to stop..

I want to retire early, I like going on vacations, and I like being married so that's enough to damper any just 'cuz tech purchase.

24. BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Give in and buy what you want. Why fight it? Money is something you'll need if you don't die tomorrow! Do it!

25. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Yeah, I'm definitely Macpie central since September. In light of several bummer iPhones I've test driven almost iPod Touch, each iPhone and the iPad Mini 4 over the past four months. I returned the iPad Mini 4 as much as I liked it, because I need that $ for a new Mac and fast (School starts in late January and after several tests, my 2010 iMac cannot perform many tasks I'll need to do.)

...and yet I bought an Apple pencil last week. :rolleyes: I am so on the fence about returning it, despite no iPP.