Is There a Holy War Against Christian Churches ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

This article states that 105 Christian churches / church buildings around the world are burned or attacked per month.

The fire at Notre Dame (accidental electrical) got a lot of media attention but it seems that the deliberate attacks get little coverage.

Do you think that it's an actual problem and why would the media ignore it ?

2. Solver macrumors 6502a

There is a big problem but it is not politically correct to talk about all the possible reasons.

3. estabya macrumors 6502

estabya

Any time people are hurt or killed or property is destroyed it’s a problem. However, when you consider the millions of churches there must be in the world I can’t imagine 105 a month is a high enough percentage of churches to warrant a claim of some holy war. And that’s way too many for the media to be reporting on regularly. We hear about the big ones, just like any other type of attack.

4. ThisBougieLife, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019

ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

I do think that as part of a global surge in Islamic violence, there has also been an uptick in attacks on Christian churches by Muslims (Egypt being a frequent site for this, with the attacks on the Coptic minority). As for other perpetrators, I couldn't say. There were recent attacks on black churches in Louisiana, but the motive seemed to be racial rather than religious.

5. NT1440, Apr 22, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2019

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Rule #1 of the internet going forward: If your “article” is sourced from Infowars...

Not a peep about 3 black churches going up in flames within days of each other in Louisiana in basically the last month, gotta think real hard why InfoWars wouldn’t mention that “holy war” scenario going down in the US. Food for thought...

6. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

There is no such thing as “holy” war. All wars are evil in nature and the major crap houses have been going at it for centuries

7. Solver macrumors 6502a

“Holy wars” are endless fighting to prove which God is more powerful and more morally superior.”

8. cube macrumors P6

So you're saying there are no holy wars when the God is the same.

9. vrDrew, Apr 23, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2019

vrDrew macrumors 65816

Some Christian organizations make persecution part of their religious doctrine. Early Christians (going back to the days of the Roman Empire) faced widespread persecution, and indeed Jesus Christ himself faced the ultimate persecution, in being crucified. To that end, many churches today will use incidents of persecution of other Christians, even if they are in far off countries, as a rationalisation for fundraising and activism.

Secondly, I view some of their statistics as being somewhat suspect. Broadly put, not all persecution is the same. A bunch of drunken teenagers throwing trash in a churchyard in Britain or painting graffiti Germany isn't quite the same thing as bombing a church in Sri Lanka. A racist American bombing an African-American church is a different sort of terrorism of its own.

Third, I think we need to recognise that some Christian persecution is technically sectarian. Members of one Christian group persecuting another. That, for most of the last thousand years, has been the norm.

Lastly, I think it absurd to suggest that the "mainstream media" is ignoring or otherwise covering up a worldwide campaign against Christians or Christian churches. If such an event occurs in any western country, I'm pretty sure it makes the news. The mainstream media is justifiably reluctant to paint every such incident as part of a larger campaign, at least absent very clear evidence that such a campaign really exists.

Bottom line: Christians almost certainly are being persecuted in Sri Lanka and China. Christians almost certainly not being persecuted (at least, not for their Christianity) in the United States or Western Europe.

It's an important distinction to keep in mind. And one to keep uppermost before suggesting we start persecuting Muslim (or Sikhs or Buddhists, etc.) here in the West.

10. daflake macrumors 6502a

I think that people just don't want to hear it any longer, but the fact is that Christianity and Islam have been a war for a very long time and while it may have settled in some areas, it is going full force in others. Sadly they will probably continue until one or the other is destroyed (and then something else will take its place).

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Disagree here. Christianity might not be very tolerant of the Muslim faith on a theological level, but I don't see many Christian terrorist attacks on either Christians or Muslim people.
    Contrary, as of today 8:30AM CT, the vast preponderance of the 690 attacks which caused 3,203 fatalities (from 1/1/19) is of Muslim root. The problem is that some Muslims are at war with the entire world, including other Muslim groups.

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

Since I believe all Gods thus their God powers exist only in minds, there are no same Gods. That’s a debate that may never end.

13. cube macrumors P6

Even if they only exist in minds, there are same Gods.

14. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, some religion would say that the mind is God's being so you might be right :)

15. Solver macrumors 6502a

To me that’s like saying there are same magical winged unicorns. (Only in stories.)

16. cube macrumors P6

An idea exists in the mind.

17. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

I'm sure that 100 restaurants catch fire worldwide, does that mean there's a war against restaurants?

18. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Catch fire =! set on fire.

19. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Yeah, and if you actually click on the links you'd see that infowars is basing this on a claim from another website which says "
    • 105 Churches and Christian buildings are burned or attacked "
    It doesn't say they were set on fire at all, just that they are "burned" which would include all incidents of church property being burned, like toaster oven fires and lamp scorching fires.

ALSO it lumps into that number incidents of "attacks" which would include things like drunk teenagers throwing eggs at the back wall and people drawing dicks on the gate outside.

ALSO, the entire claim on that website is completely uncited, so they could just have easily just invented the claim based on nothing.

20. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

I actually didn't click on it because of infowars. (until this post of yours). The original website (OpenDoors or whatever) doesn't produce much evidence and/or a list.
    However, I'd take "are burned" in this context as a willful act, not including accidents (because that would be "Churches burned"). Again the original website doesn't produce evidence as far as I know.

21. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

World wide assault on Christian Churches?

How many churches attacked in in the USA besides those with black congregations? :oops:
    How many Christian churches attacked in Europe or where there is no active Muslim extremist organizations? Notice I did note say where there are no Muslims...

22. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

When that guy attacked those mosques, he had to do it in Christchurch, just to keep the narrative alive.

23. jerwin macrumors 68020

24. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I would encourage anyone reading this thread to visit https://www.infowars.com/ to see their agenda for yourself. The owner, Alex Jones, has been banned from Apple, Facebook, Youtube, Twitter and several other platforms for hate speech.

So, if we're going to have a credible discussion about a "holy war" against Christians while not even touching on the actual egregious acts against Muslims and black people being targeted at places of worship, then you need to cite a credible source.

25. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a