Is there a law against this?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sydde, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I just got a letter addressed to my deceased father from an organization that I rather dislike (more than I used to). In it was a survey accompanied by a request for a donation as well as a business reply mail envelope. I happen to know that the postage rate on business reply mail is much higher than first class (somewhere on the order of 3 to 5 times), so I will probably just seal the envelope, empty and drop it in the mail, but I have this urge to scan the front and print up a bunch more envelopes to post so that I can cost them money. It sounds ethically dodgy, but would it actually be illegal?

2. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its not worth finding out, I can tell you that.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

It would be mail fraud which would be a federal crime. I doubt you dislike them that much. :)

4. 184550 Guest

And you don't think that the USPS and company are going to notice the difference between a legitmate envelope and one that has been scanned? They would not be delievered; waste of paper and some postal workers time when he throws them all out.

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Printing copies of a postage paid envelope to send multiple copies at their expense?

Doesn't sound any more illegal to me than photocopying a $20 bill so you could spend it multiple times. :rolleyes:

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No there's nothing illegal about fraud. And pigs fly.

Was this a serious question?

7. Surely Guest

Surely

Oooooo, can I have some?

8. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

You still pass off Canadian Tire money in the foreign exchange, don't you?

9. Surely Guest

Surely

I think that Canadian Tire money is worth more than the US Dollar these days.....:D

10. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Only if you use it to buy snow tires. :(

11. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

Nah, don't scan the envelope, just hack into their account and funnel the money into an account in the Caymans.

12. Surely Guest

Surely

Dude, they sell much more than snow tires there. You can also buy snow shovels, salt, and windshield ice scrapers.

I miss Canadian Tire.......

13. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

But do you miss snow tires? ;)

I go there every week, even if only to park. We waited months for a tire sale to buy snow tires last fall, and that same sale has been going ever since.

Oh hey, we jacked the thread. OP: Yes. But you could steam open the original letter, take out the reply-to envelope and mail it empty, then reseal the original, mark it "Return to sender".

14. Sydde thread starter macrumors 68020

Sydde

So they can go right next door to find it?

15. Surely Guest

Surely

Don't miss snow tires. Not one bit.

You should pity me though, it's been raining here.:D

This thread deserved jacking.

16. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

1) Take their empty junk mail envelope.
    2) Fill it to nearly overflowing with your junk mail.
    3) Mail it back to them so they can benefit from the $5 off an oil change and 2 for 1 pizza coupons inside.

They'll get the idea.

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

If it's one of those bulk mail postage labels you can send the envelope back attached to a box containing anything really heavy like 20 pounds of bricks and the company gets charged the shipping fee for the weight.

Here's a link for instructions on ways to get back at junk mail senders:

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-get-back-at-junk-mail-senders/

18. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Those reply by mail envelopes are handy when you have construction waste left over from home repair projects I recommend old bathroom tiles the ceramics are nice and weighty.:D

19. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

Best to throw in some supermarket coupons and a zip lock bag full of glue.

20. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

21. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

This thread does raise a question - what happens when you disagree with a non-profit, especially when it is a charity?

The OP doesn't say what organization, but I'm pretty sure I have seen larger non-profits and charities use these envelopes for donations. If I disagree with them, is it appropriate to use the envelope to send my ceramic tiles? The money they spend on the package could have been used for what they feel is a good purpose, and may result in less good being done to others (even if I disagree with their version of good or their methodology). What is appropriate?

Of course, I may be getting my envelopes mixed up, and charities/non-profits may not use them, making the question moot.

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

For me, I simply would not give to the organization in question. At most, I would try and convince friends not to donate as well. I would not try and do something like the OP and others are suggesting.

23. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I wouldn't do the envelope thing either. The taxpayer probably ends up eating the cost one way or another. One thing I do to charities I don't like is if they ask me for money, I ask them to donate to my preferred charity instead.

24. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Not all not for profits are charities though some are just tax exempt corporations.

25. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I know, but all tax exempt orgs have to meet certain qualifying standards of community benefit. While 501(c)(3)s are intended to remain rather neutral on most issues that might affect people, they can still create division. After all, I can't think of any non-profit (charity or not) that is universally admired.